Lord, are You listening?

Lord, are You listening?

The prophecy of Habakkuk and how it relates to life today.

305
Lord, are You listening?

As 2020 comes to a close, I look back on the trials, the chaos, and the all of the unknowns that have been encountered during this troubling year. At many times throughout this year, like Habakkuk, I have prayed the same prayer that results in finally asking “Lord, are You even listening?” You know what I’m talking about...Those prayers that you’re tired of praying countless nights in a row. Those prayers that just seem to echo back in your mind. Those prayers that you start to question if they’re even being heard.

“How long, Lord, must I call for help, but You do not listen?” Habakkuk 1:2

My friends, I see you. I see you who are calling out for healing. I see you who are calling out to be set free from addiction. I see you who are calling out for that lost soul to be saved. I see you who are calling out for those ends to be met. I see you who are calling out for that burden to be lifted. I see you. As you pray that same prayer over & over again, remember to have faith in the waiting. Like Habakkuk, the Lord replies with an uplifting promise—

“Watch and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5

As I look back on 2020, I am reminded of all of the prayers that I called out repeatedly as I, too, wondered if I was even being heard. Now, as I reflect on the year behind me, I see the beauty of persistence. I have learned just how much your faith can grow in the waiting. Most importantly, I have been utterly amazed as to how my continuous prayers have been answered. If you would have told me how these prayers would be answered at the time in which I had been praying them for months, I would not have believed it—just as He said.

Habakkuk 1:5

On another note, Habakkuk’s complaint to the Lord seems to be strikingly familiar to some of the occurrences of 2020.

“I cry out to you, ‘Violence!,’ but You do not save? Why do You make me look at injustice? Why do You tolerate wrongdoing? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds.” Habakkuk 1:2-3

As reports of violence headline the news, riots break loose, and cities have burned, I can’t help but look at the division across the nation and cry out the same complaint as Habakkuk. God, You are capable, so why don’t You do something about it? Why must we tolerate this? Once again, I am reminded to watch and be utterly amazed, for something will result from this mess that we would have never fathomed.

As 2020 ends, and we start a new year still praying some of the same prayers of last year, I encourage you to be persistent. Use the waiting to grow in Your faith. Most importantly, trust that you will be utterly amazed when your answers do come.