A Look At The Beginnings Of A Legacy

A Look At The Beginnings Of A Legacy

Alan Rickman will forever live on.

2
A Look At The Beginnings Of A Legacy
Mothership

Grief is hard and confusing, especially for people we have never met. The world mourned the death of beloved actor and comedian, Robin Williams. Now the world must mourn the death of another acting legend, Alan Rickman. He passed away surrounded by friends and family on Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016. As the news broke, so did many hearts.

My generation grew up with the "Harry Potter" films, but not necessarily the books. Bloomsbury released the first novel in 1997, when I was two years old. Warner Bros. released the Chris Columbus film adaptation on Nov. 14, 2001. I was old enough to remember the film and seeing it in theaters with my family. Who could forget the brooding and mysterious professor that was Severus Snape? That was the film that really introduced me to Alan Rickman, and that was the series that cemented him as one of my favorite actors. He had other films that stood out to me as well, like Kevin Smith's film "Dogma." My parents were incredibly fond of that movie and the series it was derived from, and while I haven't seen it in years, I remember Rickman as the "voice of God." Then there was the Tim Burton version of "Sweeney Todd" in which he was great, and while I don't particularly enjoy that film and musical, he was still superb as Judge Turpin.

The world has and had many great talents. We, as a society, fondly remember the stars of the Golden Age, but most of those stars got their break at relatively young ages. Alan Rickman did not. In fact, he did not start off as an actor. According to IMDb, he began his career as a successful graphic designer after graduating from both the Chelsea College of Art and the Royal College of Art. As IMDb also pointed out, he began his acting career at a late age. He was 26 when received a scholarship to attend the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art after auditioning.

With the decision to change careers, he simultaneously and unknowingly would change the world. For the first decade of his career, he participated in many BBC productions. The year 1989 would be the year that cemented him as an actor and an iconic villain. His portrayal as the German terrorist Hans Gruber would be remembered for years to come. What film was this? The Christmas classic "Die Hard."

As a college student, this story is inspiring. I'm only 20, and I am so worried I will never accomplish anything great. But knowing that other great people have succeeded later in life is something that we all desperately need to know. We may not do what we are destined to do immediately, but we will get there.

Even though he portrayed many different characters in a wide array of roles, it is hard to separate Alan Rickman from his portrayal of Snape. This role will forever be iconic and will keep his legacy alive on its own. The world of film will be poorer in his absence, but his influence on the industry will live on.

As a devoted fan and Potterhead, I will mourn the loss of one of the best actors to ever grace the silver screen.