How I Handle My LDR IRL

How I Handle My LDR IRL

Stay optimistic.

17
How I Handle My LDR IRL
Emily Fricano

Let's be real, when you start your college life in a relationship you always hear, "Oh long distance relationships don't last."

I have been in a relationship since sophomore year of high school and I am not going to lie, being so far away from him made me nervous and scared for our future. I am here in Newburgh and he is back home in Queens. Our relationship had it's up and down, but I knew we would make it through the first semester of college. Being away from him and not being able to just go out for pizza or just see each other started taking a toll on me. Of course, me being me, I did research about LDR (Long Distance Relationship) and it drove me insane! If you are anything like me, researching stuff on the internet is not a going to help the situation. I started getting paranoid because I didn't want to loose him. Being away from him for so long made me only remember the hard times and after a while, I just gave up. I was tired of worrying about it when my course load should've been my main priority. I had an exam that day and sitting there wondering about him didn't help with my stress. So, I decided to call him right then and there. When the phone call ended with him it felt so nice, that pressure was off my chest and I could finally fully focus on my school work. But the worst wasn't over.

Shortly after, however, it was hard not to call him up and chat about our day or just tell each other pointless stories and laugh till it hurt. I missed him. I was so concerned at what websites told me about my relationship that I didn't see the whole picture. Once again, I found myself on the internet asking it for my help instead of going to myself or get opinions from my friends. I tried my hardest to not focus on it and just have fun and enjoy college. During winter break I went home and that was when I needed answers for myself, so I reached out to him. It was so awkward to be back home and not be with him, it was also hard because we have the same friend group so hanging out just made it awkward for everyone. After deciding to stick my neck out, we met at a local bubble tea place. Just being there with him made it all make sense and I saw things clearly when he was around. The whole break I tried to see what was best for me because the fear of going back to college and have this relationship fall apart was not going to be easy.

Fast forward to today, we are back together and stronger than ever! The whole point of telling you this long story of confusion was to let you know that it's okay to question your relationship with your significant other. LDR can last if you BOTH put in the effort and really understand that the internet doesn't always know what is best. I let the internet cloud my judgment and it was hell. When you are in a LDR just trust in your significant other and be honest! If you are worried you two are drifting apart or whatever the case may be, tell them and stay optimistic. Honesty and communication are what will make your relationship stronger! I have faith that LDR can last if you both are very committed and determined to make the relationship last.