An Open Letter To My Long-Distance Best Friend

Distance never matters when it comes to friendship

13
Facebook

Right this very moment, I’m aboard a flight en route to see you. It’s been eight months since I saw you last but before that we had gone about two years apart. No matter the distance, I will always consider you one of my best friends. People might not understand how I can have a best friend whose hundred and hundreds of miles away but it's pretty simple. Being able to maintain a strong bond with someone whose far away is something precious. I can’t always see you. We don’t talk everyday and sometimes go weeks without communicating but that doesn’t mean I don’t care and I know it doesn’t mean you don’t care either. But when we do talk it’s as if no time has been spent apart and we can pick up right where we left off.

The best part of having you is when we do see each other, it’s not just us casually hanging out. We do it big. I’m lucky that I’m getting to fly to North Carolina to see you right now as I’m typing this letter to you. I get to get out of the cold for a few days and spend it in sunny, warm North Carolina. We get a chance to cherish a weekend together during our last few weeks of senior year together.

I still think it’s crazy that we’ve known each other for four years. It went by so fast but I still feel like we’ve been friends for so much longer. Boarding school brought us together. You were my first friend in the dorms, on our volleyball team and the first person who made that school feel like a home for me. Without you, I would’ve never met and become friends with the people I did, I would’ve never broken out of my shell, I would’ve never had the amazing experience that I did that year.

I hope you realize how much you mean to me and how thankful I am for you. You’ve been my rock during two heart wrenching breakups, my parent’s divorce, my struggle with transferring schools and a plethora of other things. You without fail made me feel like everything was going to be okay somehow. You never made me feel like I was being overdramatic, or made me feel like my problems weren’t worth your time. You were selfless when I was being selfish. You never pitied me, you sympathized with me. You and I have been through things we would never wish upon anyone else and that’s why you understand me. You are one of the strongest women I know while only becoming a stronger, more independent, and courageous person.

I can’t wait for us to spend quality time together and reflect back on all the times we’ve spent together leading up to this weekend. Not many people are lucky to have friends in other parts in the country but I’m beyond lucky that I have you.