Local Rappers Are On The Rise: It's Time To Support

There are plenty of up-and-coming artists on their way to success, and one of them may be in your neighborhood.

485
Amber Folkner

It is no secret that all rappers face controversy on a daily basis, due to the erroneous stereotype placed on "rap" music being produced, as well as the creators themselves. Rap music is often portrayed in a negative light due to the popular references to violence, drugs, sex and money. Rappers' lyrics may mention one or all of those topics in their songs, but that doesn't mean that they intend to glorify or encourage it. Each artist has their own personal reasons behind their choice of lyrics. The main question that should be asked of one who does not find rap music to be appealing or acceptable is: why dismiss someone's passion, just because you do not agree with the content (genre of music or message)?

Unfortunately, local rappers face an even bigger hardship in addition to what those rappers who have already solidified their position in the music industry deal with - gaining the support of their community and surrounding areas. Local rappers need the support of their own communities first, in order to grow as artists and ultimately expand their fan base. These artists face hate and competition every day, yet they continue to pursue what they love to do.

Instead of bashing them, we need to support them. Rapping may not be your typical nine-to-five, but the dedication and hard work that goes into what they do deserves to be applauded.Although they are only currently considered to be active on a "local" level, their community needs to encourage and uplift them all in order for them to reach a higher status.

Currently, South Bend, Indiana is the home to an extensive list of local artists, including: #574DreamTeam, Jamil "Jungle" Davis (Wavy Noise), NipscoGang, Bonka B, Squirt, Rex Rogun, Benzo Da Realest, Honey Camille, BlacMob, F.I.T.T.E.D Gang, Tae Blow, Don P, Yung Blu, Wally West, Ronny2Tymez, Drezzy Joe, Brave Gang Music, Ball Team Music Group, Aja Krys, Eva Marie, Trybe and more!

I have recently conducted the following Q and A with up-and-coming local rapper, Beezy Escobar, from #574DreamTeam:

Why do you feel like there is such a negative connotation placed on the idea of pursuing a career as a rapper?

Escobar: Because of the negative energy that some rappers bring. Most rappers tend to rap about money, cars, women and killing. That's why people look down on rap. Not knowing that this is what the rapper grew up around and is just rapping about real life stuff that he's actually seen. Rap is much deeper than saying a few rhyming words.

Do you feel like a rapper's lyrics defines them?

Escobar: No, it does not define them as a person, but it does define the life they lived or the life they have seen growing up.

Which characteristics must one possess in order to be successful in the music industry, in your opinion?

Escobar: You have to know a little something about the business side to the music. Especially if you are a hot artist with a hit single. Also, you have to learn to take criticism because everybody isn't going to like you. That's just how it is.

Do you feel like there is more competition occurring than support, especially among all local rappers residing in South Bend, Indiana and surrounding areas?

Escobar: Yes ma'am. There is more competition than support. Every rapper wants to be better than the next. Every local wants to be the first to blow up; not understanding that as locals, if we put our brains and power, also money, in this music then we will take off as one. South Bend is so small that when one person makes it, then the whole city will get a chance to shine.

Do you believe local rappers who have failed to make it far in the music industry in the past is due to a lack of support from their own community?

Escobar: Lack of community support, yes. If your own people that you lived and grew up with can't support you, then why would a stranger support? But, it is also the lack of dedication. You have to put your all into this music or none!

What is your ultimate goal when it comes to your own music?

Escobar: My ultimate goal is to be heard, be remembered and make enough to take care of my family and make sure my mom doesn't have to work another petty a** minimum wage job again. Also, just have as much fun as possible.

What is motivating you to continue to work hard to reach that goal?

Escobar: The fans and the positive feedback that we've been getting.

What would you do or say if someone told you that you needed to give up rapping?

Escobar: Go harder and continue to watch them hate from the sidelines.

In what way do you want #574DreamTeam to be viewed as or associated with?

Escobar: Even though we may use a little profanity in our music, we still don't talk too much about violence or killings. Also, we don't put drugs or guns in our videos, because we want to be looked at in more of a positive way than others. We have a lot of high school fans, maybe younger, that look up to us, so we just try to make good music, stay positive on social media and also be professional with everything we do. We have a lot of support from business professionals and older people too, and we don't want them telling their kids not to listen or look up to us, because we are violent.

Does #574DreamTeam wish to reach a specific demographic?

Escobar: No. We just want to be great, and have fun. If something major happens, then it happens. But, until then we're just living life.

So, #574DreamTeam does not intend to glorify sex, drugs, crime, money, etc.?

Escobar: Not at all. We glorify living life to the fullest, having fun with whatever you do and keeping God first.

It is unfair to judge someone because their passion differs from yours. Look past the lyrics, and admire the commitment and perseverance each artist and group possesses. Respect the devotion that they put into their music, and give them the credit they deserve.

Support your local artists.