Be Local And Vocal When It Comes To Politics

This past week I had the honor of serving on a student committee planning one of the several forums for the Aurora mayoral race. Richard Guzman, Richard Irvin, and Michael Saville, with the absence of Linda Chapa LaVia. These three of the four candidates answered questions mainly pertaining to youth struggles in Aurora. The topics even went on to include economy, infrastructure, school policies and gang violence. For this event, I had the chance organize and coordinate media and social media relations. Even going on to create the hashtag #BeVocalandLocal.

The hashtag #BeLocalandVocal touches on two very important concepts. The first being that local and/or grassroots activism is significant, especially in times as these when there is a lack of hope in our national government. With a president who lacks the ability to govern and lead, we have to look to local political leaders and activists for hope in our government and take more proactive action in this intimate political medium.

Focusing on local politics has always been important because these are the policies that directly impact citizens- and noncitizens- life the most. Particularly, us teenagers as laws are passed concerning public education and universities, curfews, laws of the road and more. Being vocal just means that politics, especially on the local level, is an opportunity in which anyone and everyone can effectively voice their opinions on issues within the community.

Without this vocalization on partisan ideals, public policy and issues within communities and the nation, democracy would not be able to function as it does today. Similar to the results, if we little to no voter turnout. This vocalization is a fundamental right and needs to be utilized more often especially by youth like myself.

This event not only made me realize how much of a blessing it is to live in a city where there are so many who only wish to see it become the absolute best it can be. Aurora can only expect great policy and change from our four incredibly passionate candidates. No matter what, the City of Lights will be in great hands.

*Be sure to head out to the polls on February 28th to vote in the primaries and on April 4th to vote and choose from the top two candidates!*