Living On Long Island

Living On Long Island

It's more special than anybody realizes.

283
Living On Long Island
Christina Ayvas

Growing up on Long Island, you never realize how special of a place it truly is. Growing up anywhere other than Long Island, you also don't realize how special it is. I guess what I'm trying to say is that not enough people appreciate the Island. Many articles have been written about fun things to do on Long Island, or things people know to be true only if they've grown up on Long Island. But the truth is, no two people are going to have the same views regarding Long Island, even if they both have lived on Long Island for their entire lives.

I've lived on the North Fork of Long Island for my entire life (thus far). Granted, I'm only 18 years old, but the point is I've never lived anywhere else. And quite frankly, I don't think I would've wanted to live anywhere else. Growing up in the small town of Southold, it would appear as if I've lived a very sheltered life. In fact, I have lived a sheltered life.

Many people would think this is a bad thing, but I'm grateful to have grown up this way. Living in a town where you essentially know everybody does have its cons, but it has even larger pros. Yes, this might mean that everybody knows everything about one another, but it also forces you to interact with a good number of people. I've made many connections around here; connections that very possibly could be beneficial in my future. Making these connections also forces you to develop a set of social skills that will only help you throughout your life. Not enough people realize how such small things can have such a large impact.

No two towns on Long Island are alike. You've got large and small towns in each county. I had a graduating class of 75 kids, while some other towns in Suffolk County had 300+ kids. I attend college in Nassau County, where the majority of my peers graduated in classes of 500 or more. The point is, Long Island towns come in all shapes and sizes. No two are alike, but that's a good thing. That is why the people of Long Island are so different from one another. Everybody has had different experiences in their different towns, despite the fact that we're "all from Long Island."

There are many things to do on Long Island. On one side you've got a bay, on another you've got a sound, and you also just happen have an ocean. Needless to say, finding a beach to go to is never a problem. Long Island is home to a multitude of vineyards, fresh seafood, malls, parks, late night diners, friendly people, quaint little towns and bigger cities (and the Hamptons). It has things to attract visitors, as does every other place. Many people vacation on Long Island, or take weekend trips out to explore the vineyards. These tourists are only able to get a small feel of the island, as compared to the people who have spent their entire lives here. But regardless if you're a tourist or a Long Island native, you probably don't realize that this island is indeed a special place. At the end of the day, everybody has their own opinions.

One day when you're aching to get off of the island, take a drive to the beach, remember all that this place has given you, really contemplate where you would ever find such an incredible view like the one right in front of your own eyes, and reflect on how we constantly take it all for granted.