A Guide To Living In An Off-Campus Apartment

If you are a student ready to make the jump from dorm to apartment and start living off campus, I have some tips for you!

21

Living in an off-campus apartment feels like a right of passage for college students, finally getting the maximum level of freedom you can get. Officially not living on campus made me finally feel like an adult. As a freshman, living in a dorm was also a right of passage, an experience every freshman should have. After living in one for a year, I think we can all agree we are ready to have our own sense of privacy again. Here are some things to keep in mind when living in an off-campus apartment!

1. Keep your kitchen stocked! 

As college students, we are in for many long nights. Surely, we have all pulled an all-nighter every once and a while. You have to make sure your kitchen is stocked with the foods and drinks that you will need! Even some comfort food for the days that just do not seem to end. But, this also means you need to keep up with your grocery shopping, so try to get yourself into a routine. I typically go shopping every two weeks, so I make sure I get enough food to last me for those two weeks. Nothing sucks worse than staring at an empty fridge after a long day of classes.

2. Keep track of when your rent is due. 

College itself is expensive, and we are all on a budget and most students cannot afford to pay anything more than they do. Do not make your financial situation harder on you than it already is, so pay your rent on time! Make sure you note if it takes a day or two to process your payment if you are paying online which a lot of students, including myself, do. Set a reminder a couple of days before it is due if you have to. This will make sure you avoid any late fees or additional costs!

3. Set rules with your roommates. 

Whether you are living with random roommates or your best friends, boundaries are important. Everyone needs to be on the same page from the beginning to avoid any tension in the apartment. Living with other people is hard, not everyone lives the same lifestyle. Nobody wants to have to uncomfortably confront their roommates about things that bother them. If you set these rules before they even become issues, these types of conversations will not have to happen. Especially if you are living with your best friends, you need to make sure you all understand the difference between your friendship and roommate relationship. Once established, living with other people is such an amazing experience!

4. Make your bedroom your sanctuary. 

My favorite part of living in my apartment is having my own room. Contrary to the dorms, your room in your apartment is 100% your space. Make your room in your apartment your space, decorate it in a way that makes you feel at home. This is where you will be living for at least two semesters and you will want it to feel comfortable. I love sitting in my room and doing homework, watching TV, or just sitting on my bed. Start small with your room and continue to make it more and more your own.

5. Enjoy your freedom wisely. 

While the freedom of living in an off-campus apartment is an amazing feeling, it is easy to get caught up in the freedom. It is easier to forget you are at school because you are no longer constantly surrounded by the campus. Make sure you are keeping your academic responsibilities in mind by setting aside time every day for homework/studies. If you keep up with this schedule and keep your academics in mind, you will get to bask in every freedom an off-campus apartment gives you!