Little Things & Chicken Wings

Little Things & Chicken Wings

Thanks, Milly

18
Little Things & Chicken Wings

Last night around 10:30, I found myself looking at pictures of chicken wings. At every picture, I would make some remark about how delicious they looked and how I REALLY wanted some honey barbecue chicken wings. Then, my wonderful, vegetarian roommate suggested, “Let’s go get some.” It took me a minute because I kept thinking to myself about how it was really late but I could actually go get some honey barbecue chicken wings because college, right?

Before I tell you an anecdote about our trip to Buffalo Wild Wings, let me tell you the moral of this story: enjoy the little moments. Little moments like this with my roommate end up creating a really big ‘something.’ That something in this case, is our friendship. In the big picture of life, we as typical human beings are always striving for gold. Yes, it may be an accomplishment worth achieving, but something worth thinking about is what you will remember from it. Will you remember the stressful moments and anticipation to know if it all paid off, or will you remember the moments getting there? Let me go ahead and answer for you; it’s the moments life is full of. All the little things come together to create one big thing, and that is what you will remember when you look back. As Ging Freecss said, “You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.”

To put this into effect, I wanted chicken wings. What did I get? I got an adventurous car ride where we both belted Taylor Swift’s “You belong with me” and Vanessa Carlton’s “A thousand miles” at the top of our lungs and laughing at how terribly we sing. We even took a leap of faith and bought the most expensive strawberry lemonade to ever exist. From this spontaneous trip, I will remember the laughter and bonding we experienced TOGETHER. That is what is important. When we returned, we sat on our cut-out carpet and set out the food. It was our first roomie-family meal. We talked the casual life talk and how appetizing the food was. From this was communion (Jiles, my AP Lit teacher would be proud for referencing Thomas Foster). Not the religious form of communion, but we got the literature form: eating in a setting to bring characters together through the exchange of intimate thoughts and feelings. I am sure many more moments like this will happen, especially because I really love chicken wings. So don't miss out, go grab some chicken wings and appreciate the little things.