10 Musical Artists That Deserve Your Attention

Give them your money!

64

The radio may play some great songs by a variety of artists, but there is more to music than just the Top 40. Here are some relatively unknown artists that deserve more of your attention.

1. Foster The People

You've definitely heard "Pumped Up Kicks" but what about other bops they've released? Every song has a zesty sound full of genuine instrumentals equally mixed with that all-too-popular electronica sound. While listening to this band, dancing wildly around your room is a must.

2. BØRNS

If you're craving a vintage sound mixed with an eerie vibe, not unlike that of Lana Del Rey, you need to add this artist to your music library. His style is totally unique and super fun to listen to. (P.S. "Electric Love" is not his only song! He has released two full albums for you to enjoy.)

3. Sigrid

Ah, European artists. The world would not be the same without you. She has a casual yet high-quality style and is COMING OUT WITH HER DEBUT ALBUM THIS YEAR. She has a few EP's outisn'tand I am obsessed with every single one of them. She ranges from bouncy to ballad and has got that gravel in her voice reminiscent of the great Sia. Give her a listen! You won't regret it.

4. The Ready Set

I'm gonna be completely transparent here: I named my first car after him. Yes, Jordan here was my musical obsession in middle/high school, and his music has remained relevant in my life to this day. His style is very techy and filled with energy, making his work the perfect club music. Jamming out in your car is also recommended.

5. Oh Wonder

Yay! More Europeans! This duo is super chill and a genuine pleasure to listen to. Keyboard and soft vocals make up most of their sound. This doesn't mean that they don't have their moments of pop and energy! However, if you're driving through the countryside or need a way to calm down, Oh Wonder is your best bet.

6. Jon Bellion

The radio gives this boy almost no love, and it DUMBFOUNDS me. He makes exactly the kind of music that you would think mainstream media would devour, but I guess not? Whatever. Putting emotion and authenticity in your music must not be trendy. All of his music reads like poetry and expresses humanity in the most truthful way I have ever experienced. Give him a listen! (Maybe try his album "The Human Condition" and listen to the songs in order. It's a religious experience.)

7. Lights

Oh, Canada! Since she began her career, Lights has gotten married, come out with four albums, had a baby, and has written a graphic novel. And her hair is bright red, but that's another story. What began as nineties synth has over the years transformed into poetic artistic expression. Everything she has put out is inspiring and other-worldly, and definitely worth the listen.

8. Billie Eilish

Yes, she's popular. VERY popular. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't explore her music! She's one of the most creative people I've ever heard of - and she's younger than me (which I am only beginning to come to grips with). Her music videos are deliciously creepy and full of fantastic imagery that only so many can pull off. At a young age, Billie is very quickly changing music in her genre and is on her way to becoming one of the greats.

9. MisterWives

This band is super unique with a lead vocalist who has a powerful voice similar to that of Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries. They sing about rejecting society and the music industry that seems to run American culture. They play to a beat of their own drum - literally - and they have so much fun doing it.

10. Cults

Speaking of unique, these two embody the sixties in their music (with a twist, of course). They have a crunchy, echoing style full of cheery vibes and eerie undertones. If you are already a fan of alternative music, you've probably heard their song "Go Outside" at least once. It will ring a bell, I promise.

Well, there you have it! Ten musical artists to add to your music library that isn't overplayed on the radio (in the United States, anyway). So go have a listen! Explore something new, and get lost in the sound waves. You never know what hidden gems you might find.