Light Therapy
Health Wellness

My Psychiatrist Recommended Getting A Light Box, And I'm Going To Try It In Place Of Therapy

Anyone and everyone could use, and benefit from, a light box.

447
https://unsplash.com/photos/sxQz2VfoFBE

During my last visit to my psychiatrist, I mentioned feeling lethargic, unmotivated, and having difficulty staying asleep at night.

"That's odd," my psychiatrist told me. She asked me if I was taking any new medications.

"No."

"That's really odd." No new medications, and my dosage of Wellbutrin hadn't been adjusted at all.

After I told her I noticed these issues persisting since the beginning of the new quarter, she said, "It could be some of your depressive symptoms breaking through."

No. I hoped I would never hear something like that again. I thought I was doing so well.

"I wonder if going back to therapy would be beneficial for you."

"Yeah, maybe." Even though this was something I had considered during the past couple weeks, I have been out of therapy for just over six months and I am not in any hurry to run back to a clinic and get my fourth therapist in under two years.

She made another suggestion that I actually plan to follow: getting a light box.

I thought only people with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) used them during the winter as an extra source of light because of the lack of sunlight. But, they can be beneficial for people with other types of depression.

Honestly, anyone and everyone could use, and benefit from, a light box.

For me, I think a light box would work well. If it will help prevent me from feeling lethargic, unmotivated, and improve my sleep disturbances, it definitely will.

If a light box will help keep my mind clear, focused and feeling well during the dreary winter months, I'll give one a shot.