6 Life Lessons I've Learned From Uber Drivers

Make the journey meaningful.

116
Abdiel Ibarra

"Life is about the journey, not the destination."

Well, I can confidently say that I've never applied that saying to transportation before.

Car rides, train rides, and flights have always just been stepping stones to me-- something I needed to do to get where I'm going.

Recently, though, I've found myself looking forward to taking Ubers.

Weird, right?

I've had some amazing conversations and have met some truly interesting and wise people in my recent Uber rides.

And why shouldn't the journey be meaningful too?

Here's some life lessons I've learned...yes, in an Uber.

1. The little things matter

The little pouches of pretzels that one driver handed out?

And the phone charger with 6 cables that let everyone in the car charge their phone at once?

Not anything crazy.

And yet these were the most impactful things--they were so thoughtful yet so simple.Taking small steps to make someone's day a little brighter makes big differences.

2. Anyone can make a difference

Yeah, yeah, I know--you've heard this one before. But I'm not talking huge scale changes; I’m talking a difference in one person's day.

One of my favorite things someone can say to me is, "You made my day." Making someone's day means that I was able to bypass any hardships, problems, or troubles that person was having and make a positive impact.

My goal for every Uber ride is to create "you made my day" moments.

It's not hard to brighten someone's day, but the impact is huge.

3. Quality over quantity

Last week, I had a 9 minute ride packed with 9 hours worth of good conversation.

Live in the moment, and pack every minute with as much meaning as possible.

It's not about how many minutes... it's about how much those minutes are worth.

4. Compromise often

One of my favorite visuals: Sean Mendes playing on the radio while the driver has headphones in.

The driver wanted to make sure everyone was happy, including himself.

It's not hard to think of others and meet in the middle.

5. Expressing gratitude is important

You know that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you know you've helped someone?

Why not spread that?

A few weeks ago, I told my Uber driver that I genuinely appreciated and enjoyed our conversation.

I think he teared up.

People need to know that they're appreciated and that they're important.

And if some random Uber passenger can make a grown man cry? I'd say giving thanks is a pretty big deal.

6. Sometimes, you just need someone to listen

One of my drivers told me about his career mistakes and goals for the future within the first five minutes of my ride.

Another told me about his experience in the Vietnam war, and the toll that it's taken on his emotions throughout the years.

Why me, though? I really didn't ask for these stories, or say anything noteworthy in the conversation before.

But I was listening.

And sometimes, that's the best thing you can do for someone. Even someone you just met and will likely never see again.

Cherish every moment--even the moments in an Uber.