Life Lessons Disney Movies Have Taught Me

As I grow older, I realize that they're not just about pretty princesses and meaningless fairytales.

15
Playbuzz

As a little girl, I was always obsessed with anything and everything related to Disney -- you name it and I knew it. I repeatedly watched my favorite movies to mesmerize the stunning dresses the princesses wore, sing along to all of the catchy songs that were featured and daydream about living in the fairytale worlds that they were a part of. At a time like this, Disney movies provided me with nothing, but entertainment and fun. As I grow older, however, I realize that they're not just about pretty princesses and meaningless fairytales.

Here's a list of Disney movies that taught me everlasting life lessons.

1. "The Little Mermaid"

There's many reasons to love "The Little Mermaid," whether it's for the vibrant red hair Ariel has or the innocence of Flounder, but the main reason is for the moral it teaches -- never be afraid to try something new. During the film, Ariel embarks on an adventure in hopes of change. While her decision causes her to encounter many difficulties throughout the movie, it works out for the best in the end. "The Little Mermaid" as a whole teaches that although change can be frightening, it is worth the risk.

2. "Aladdin"

When I was younger, I adored "Aladdin" for the humor that Genie provided and the magic carpet ride Aladdin and Jasmine went on. Now I recognize the true beauty that is found within this film, which is the lesson that there is more to one than their financial status and other minute factors. Although Aladdin is ashamed of his poverty, Princess Jasmine proves to him that what constitutes a person's character are not the items he / she owns but the qualities he / she possesses. "Aladdin" encourages people to determine their self-worth based on who they are as a person rather than the materials they have.

3. "Mulan"

"Mulan" is one of the most influential Disney movies solely because it provides young viewers with the best message -- be confident in your abilities and do not let anyone ever bring you down. As members of society, we are constantly stereotyped into certain roles and that is very evident in this film. As a woman in a time of war and inequality, Mulan is told that she cannot participate in battle due to her gender. However, she decides to take her fate within her own hands and fights not only to help her father, but also for what she believes in. She knows that she is just as capable as anyone else and proves that with her strength. "Mulan" teaches many to strive to believe in themselves, regardless of what others say.

Disney movies have always left me with a smile on my face, but now that I have realized their true meanings, they also leave me with warmth in my heart. They are truly magical, not because of their fictional plots, but for the lessons that they teach.