You Need To Have Other Goals Besides Just Wanting To Be A Wife

Ladies, Imagine This, You're Only 20 And Not Just Tweeting About Getting Married

Your 20s has so much more to offer than just finding a future husband and idealizing marriage

178

There's been a recent trend on Twitter that has thousands upon thousands of women tweeting out posts that say something along the lines of "LADIES imagine this: It's 15 years from now...." and the blanks are filled in with what these women imagine their best life to be in the future.

Something I've noticed, and I'm sure many other people have, is that these tweets go viral for dreaming of a perfectly normal middle class life, and they all typically involve finding a husband and having children. Not that there's anything wrong with dreaming of having those sort of things, but to put it in the words of Twitter user @kbnoswag: "College girls on Twitter aggressively fantasizing about being 40 year old moms who do regular activities with their fictional families is one of the most bizarre social media trends."

And I've got to agree with that! Looking at these tweets, it seems like a lot of women have this expectation of finally having a fulfilled and successful life after finding a husband (most of these tweets end by claiming that by obtaining these goals, they would finally be living "their best life") and this, in my opinion, should not be a reality that we should want to live in.

LADIES imagine this: You are completely whole without a husband, and if your only dream in life is to find a man to support you, then maybe you need to find a different dream.

Don't get me wrong, I think almost every woman on the planet has at one point daydreamed about getting married but, there are so many different ways to go about living your best life that don't revolve around having a significant other.

Now I know it's everyone's right to imagine for a blissful future, but please remember to not set the bar so low. Yes, marriage is a wonderful thing that may bring someone true happiness, but your life doesn't start by getting married. Your happiness should not be determined on whether you're in a relationship or not.

And don't get things confused about what I'm saying—marriage is NOT this horrible thing that everyone should avoid at all costs, and I'm definitely not tearing down women who want to get married at a young age. I know women can be independent all the while being in a healthy relationship/marriage, and I also know that being a wife and a mother is a very serious and powerful aspiration and some people are perfectly content with just being that. What I am saying is that your happiness should not depend solely on another human being.

Some women, and I suppose also men, literally put off their own happiness because they feel that they cannot find fulfillment with their lives until they are married. And those are the people I am talking to because that is not a healthy way to live. You are the only person who can bring yourself happiness, and to expect someone else to carry that weight for you is absurd.

You can have multiple goals in life, and they do not have to revolve around your significant other. You can have other aspirations other than just being "marriage material." You can be successful without a husband, and you can definitely be happy without one.

Your life does not start by having a husband. Your life starts the moment you live your life unapologetically and carefree, which is why it is so important to find happiness within yourself before you take a step as big as marriage.