20 LGBTQ+ Artists To Revive Your Music Library

Out with the old, in with the much, much gayer

200
Adam Messinger

Hey friends!

Summer is here and not only does that mean you’re more sweaty than usual, but also the same music you had on repeat during the past couple cold months is growing stale!

A doctor probably once said that it is important to keep updating your music library consistently to shake off the cobwebs of the past and get your life going again. And why not do that while also supporting the plethora of queer bands and artists that exist out there in the great unknown?!

So, here’s 20 LGBTQ+ bands and artists that are really cool and will make any of your playlists real nice and spice up your life because I can attest that they are 10/10 doctor recommended and you know I wouldn't lie to you ;)

And if you have any other suggestions that you think I would enjoy, don’t hesitate to throw them at me, but I swear to god if it’s Troye Sivan or that new problematic song by Rita Ora, I will spit in your face.

But let’s get up in this gig:

1. St. Vincent

I'm just gonna say it: this is THE queen of queens. She is my queer icon and I'm not gonna apologize for it!

She just does her own damn thing without anyone else’s opinion and really shows a clear understanding of the term "queer" throughout the spectrum of its usage and origin as a term for someone who is "othered" or different and ostracized because of it.

She has released several albums that vary in genre but are all pretty damn cool. She recently dated Cara Delevigne and Kristen Stewart in addition to slaying the single life, and writing about the heartbreak of her past and her struggles with mental health.

Certified artistic, innovative, bad bitch.

Maybe skip her latest album, but def don’t sleep on this chameleon queen of the queers.

Check out: (“The Neighbors,” “Psychopath,” “Happy Birthday, Johnny,” “Cruel”)

2. THEESatisfaction

This group has recently disbanded but their impact and their art will continue on in my heart and hopefully your next playlist mothafucka.

This group was an R&B/hip hop style collab that consisted of rapper, Stasia “Stas” Irons and singer Catherine “Cat” Harris-White and together they created some trippy beats that gives me Erika Badu meets Tame Impala all the while speaking of women’s empowerment and life as queer women of color.

Their music videos are quite beautiful too, and often feature many of their friends and other POCqueers who use this medium to tell their stories.

(Check out: “QueenS,” “Existinct,” “Planet for Sale”)

3. Perfume Genius

This performer was one of the first queer artists I really used to follow in high school and he's still one of my favorite artists for his unique style and presentation. His music is often dreamy with glints of both piano and his whispery voice while also exploring many of the struggles that gay men face within contemporary society.

His music videos are also filled with amazing imagery and are just really fucking gay.

(Check out: “Valley,” “Normal Song,” “Queen”)

4. MIKA

You probably recognize this lil guy (remember "Big Girl You are Beautiful"? Yeah? Forget about it) but it's time we give him props where it's due because he really does it, ya know?

His pop infused rock stylings have been a staple of my summer playlists for years, and I highly recommend him if you’re ever feeling a bit down and want some cheering up, or if you’re driving around in the summer and you’re exhausted of Gaga.

(Check out: “Relax, Take it Easy,” “We are Golden,” “Grace Kelly”)

5. Kevin Abstract

This rapper and songwriter is a founding member of the group BROCKHAMPTON, if that means anything to you, and is a proud member of the LGBTQ+ community.

This guy is playing on strong Frank Ocean vibes and a Pre-whiny Kanye sound that tells a narrative that is often times neglected in not only LGBT stories, but also rap.

(Check out: “American Boyfriend,” “Papercut,” “Miserable America”)

6. Adore Delano

You might recognize this face from not only season 6 of “Rupaul’s Drag Race,” but also “American Idol."

Now, they are a fucking drag superstar who followed in the steps of most post-Drag Race queens and released two albums, which were okay. But, they then decided to not do the traditional trash-pop novelty bops again, and created a grunge album called, "Whatever" that perfectly encapsulates Adore’s brand and she seems to be having a lot fun, so that's really all that matters, BRIELLE.

Whether you like the album or not, she still did THAT and I applaud her, and she even managed to attempt to tackle some important themes of femininity in boys--even if it was a little manufactured and showy.

Take a look at the music video for “Negative Nancy” and get a little (more) queer and punk this summer!

(Check out: “I Look Fucking Cool,” “Adam’s Apple,” “27 Club” and DUH "Negative Nancy")

7. Hurray for The Riff Raff

Okay lesbs this is your chance!

This Americana folk band serves up some lovely tunes by a queer female fronted crew that gives me Joanne-era meets Ani Difranco—so gays get into it too! Really anyone just get up on this band because it’s really nice for morning breakfasts or if you have a horse, I guess—but in the best way possible.

(Check out: “Little Black Star,” “The Body Electric,” “Blue Ridge Mountains”)

8. Mykki Blanco

This bad bitch has been around since you used to get all your music from Tumblr mp3's!

Mykki is a rapper, a poet, and an activist who often times speaks out about trans rights and living as a trans performer in the industry and specifically their journey to feel comfortable with themselves and also create art.

They have also managed to be on every pre-game playlist of mine and not enough people know about Mykki, so step up your game, America!

(Check out: “For the Cunts,” “Wish You Would,” “I’m in a Mood”)

9. Rufus Wainwright

This singer-songwriter has really done it all and made so many facial expressions along the way!

He’s recorded everything from blooming piano ballads to a full-fledged opera, and the whole time did it with a silky smooth, Michael Bublé-esque voice that crooned of queer narratives.

His Judy Garland concert at Carnegie Hall in which he performed in heels and red lipstick is also fully available on Spotify, so give that a listen too!

(Check out: “Release the Stars,” “Between My Legs,” “Oh, What a World”)

10. The Magnetic Fields

Let me start by saying that copyright laws are real and I couldn’t get a cool a photo of them that they deserve because THEY’RE THAT SUBMERSIVE so don’t judge a book by its seemingly boring 40-year-old white male lead-cover.

This band has crossed over into several different categories that make it truly unclassifiable. What makes it so unique is the front man and founder, Stephen Merritt (pictured and cooler in real life, I'm sure) who uses his bass voice to craft beautiful songs filled with his trademark dry humor and queer stories.

Whether it’s 80’s inspired club hits or Simon & Garfunkle-y ballads, you’re sure to be impressed by the eclectic work of The Magnetic Fields.

(Check out: “All My Little Words,” “Andrew in Drag,” "The Dreaming Moon," “Absolutely Cuckoo”)

11. Janelle Monáe

Oh bitch. If you haven’t heard of Janelle Monáe before, then idk what to tell you.

She’s a fucking performer!!!

She’s an actress!!

She’s a songwriter, and most recently she released one of the most important albums of 2018: Dirty Computer, which tells a hugely important narrative about queer POC women and the fluidity of sexuality by bringing it to the forefront of hip hop, but I'm sure some girl you know named Lindsey loves the remix version.

Also it is much better at talking about bisexual story lines than fucking “Girls” by Rita Ora.

(Check out: “Violet Stars Happy Hunting!” “Make The Bus,” “Pynk” and don't forget about all of "Dirty Computer," hoe)

12. Brandi Carlile

No offense, but this woman always makes me cry because a song was performed by her for my high school graduation and it GOT ME--not that you care!

Brandi is almost like a more grown up, professional, not-fucking snakey Taylor Swift. Actually I’m sorry that was a terrible comparison, but I don’t know many folksy, country infused songwriters!!

Please don’t let that snake comparison sway you; this woman's voice is so raw AND NOTHING LIKE TAYLOR SWIFT and she tells real stories that seem to be as much a part of her as the skin she was born in.

This shit will uplift you with one press of a play button.

Listen to her on a long drive in the Fall when it's time for you to reminisce on your past.

(Check out: “Wherever is Your Heart,” “The Story,” “That Wasn’t Me” “Beginning to Feel the Years”)

13. KAYTRANADA

In high school, Lorde told me over Twitter to check out his debut album, and my “chill study playlist” has never been the same, and when you mix in the fact that he’s a hot gay mans, it makes him even more appealing.

Listen to his groovy beats as you chill in the cool of the cherished summer shade, or watch pool boys from inside--whatever you wanna do!

(Check out: “YOU’RE THE ONE,” “BUS RIDE,” “VIVID DREAMS”)

14. Pansy Division

This band caught my eye a while ago because of their fun, queer name and their pension for putting gay story lines in their punk rock music.

Since the 90’s, Pansy Division has been crafting queer songs that don't take themselves as seriously as other LGBT bands and story tellers, but finds satire in the seemingly undesirable and grunge narrative of being "queer."

Rock out to this fun band as you take back the term “pansy!”

(Check out: “The Summer You Let Your Hair Grow Out,” “Blame the Bible,” “The Story So Far”)

15. Brendan Maclean

This artist is a relatively new discovery of mine, and I’m still struggling to understand how I feel about him, but I’ve included him anyway because I’m sure someone who enjoys more dance-pop-type-things will find him enjoyable.

I prefer his earlier work where it is more personal and instrumental, but he has since grown to a more subversive, interesting version of Troye Sivan’s basic shit that is sure to delight the deepest of the summertime blue twinks.

(Check out: “Stupid,” “Onlyonly,” “Free to Love”)

16. ANOHNI

This trans artist is very atmospheric and I highly recommend her for a sex playlist or just a chill playlist.

She caught my eye a while ago because of the song “Drone Bomb Me” and she only continues that fun sense of humor that hides in her atmospheric beats and haze that are very much a mood and perfect for angst or laziness fuel.

(Check out: “Drone Bomb Me,” “Watch Me,” “Hopelessness” and the music videos too)

17. Kera & The Lesbians

This band is also new to me, and I like it because it reminds me of the stuff I used to be into in high school; indie, weird stuff with a funny name you could wear on a t-shirt.

Disclaimer: Kera is the actual only queer person in the band but don’t let that sway you from looking up this cute, new band.

(Check out: “November,” “Witch’s Tit,” “Gypsy Song”)

18. Taylor Bennett

Taylor is a fairly new, bisexual rapper who is the younger brother of Chance the Rapper and even features the Chicago rapper several times on his first album: Broad Shoulders.

Get up in this gig and add him to your summer playlist, Linda, I fucking dare you!

(Check out: “Grown Up Fairy Tales,” “Dancing in The Rain,” “Nobody Tell a Name”)

19. Trixie Mattel

Everyone knows I have a soft spot for the winner of “Rupaul’s Drag Race: All Stars 3” and that is partially because she is a unique, hilarious queen, but also because of her unique, hilarious, beautiful, music.

Like the previously mentioned, #6 Adore Delano, Trixie did not go the traditional drag queen pop route. She instead released two heartfelt country-folk albums that at times get a bit campy, but overall stay rooted within reality while also having serious “It Gets Better” undertones that have been helpful—at least for me—during the cloudiest of days.

(Check out: “Soldier,” “Seen My Man (Wisconsin Demo),” “Mama Don’t Make Me Put on The Dress Again”)

20. Courtney Barnett

And the last queen on my list is of course: Courtney Barnett.

I included her because she is a beautiful, powerful, Australian singer-songwriter with a completely unique sound, but also because she is QUEER ASFUK and I didn’t even know that until I started to compile this list.

So, enjoy her special drawl and thick guitar splashes whenever you want because no playlist is complete without a little bit of Courtney because she transcends the boundaries of “summer mood” and will help you with whatever you need, henny.

(Check out: “Debbie Downer,” “Elevator Operator,” Nobody Really Cares If You Don’t Go to The Party”)

Also check out her new album: “Tell Me How You Really Feel”

So go forth with joy and sprinkle these bops all over your Spotify or Apple Music, or however you listen to music and be a beautiful queen of the ocean :)

For further suggestions we have: Gaga, RuPaul, Kehlani, BOYTOY, cupcaKKe, Melissa Ethridge, Elton John, Hayley Kiyoko, Queen Pigeon, Matt Fishel, Mary Lambert, and of course the gayest band of all time: Queen and NO ONE can take that away from us :)

Happy summer, queers!