How To Decide To Let Go of Clothing You No Longer Wear

The younger generation is increasingly becoming more dependent on experiences than material goods. Clearing the clothes you don't wear out of your closet is a cathartic experience. It will allow you to spend less time getting ready in the morning because your choices will be clothes that both fit you and you love wearing. Not only that, but you can make some extra cash or brighten someone's day depending on what you want to do with the clothes you get rid of.

1. Does It Fit You?

These are the first items you should get rid of. Unless your weight or body shape fluctuates often, clothes that are too big or too small are likely to never be worn again. Holding on to clothes that don't fit you can cause unnecessary stress about the way you look. You don't have to slim down to fit into something when you have an entire wardrobe of clothing that fits you as is.

2. Do You Like The Color, Material, And Style?

I love the color pink, but it's hard for me to wear with my skin tone. If you're like me, you may own clothing that just doesn't pair well with your skin or hair tones. Before getting rid of anything, spend some time researching what colors look good with your undertones. Then, make sure the material is comfortable and quality. Only keep items that both look good on you, and you like.

3. Did It Fulfill A Trend?

Trendy styles are extremely popular among college-aged women. Owning a few good-quality trendy pieces is fun, but holding on to trends that have gone out of style is just adding clutter to your closet. Pick 5-10 trendy pieces to keep, and get rid of the rest. Try to remember this when you're out shopping as well.

4. Have You Worn It In The Past Year?

Let's be real, if you haven't worn it in the past year, are you really gonna wear it next year? Probably not. It's okay to grow out of clothes or styles you used to love, but you don't have to hang on to them for the memories.

Once you've decided that you're not going to keep the item, you need to give it a new purpose. There are essentially five ways to do this: (1) donate, (2) give to family or friends, (3) sell, (4) repurpose, or (5) trash. Obviously, each has its own benefit, as you can't sell old t-shirts and more worn items, but you don't want to donate them either if you paid a lot of money for them. If something has holes, stains, or is otherwise damaged, just let it go and throw it away.

5. Does It Serve A Purpose?