To My Fellow Residents: I'm Sorry I Didn't Say Goodbye

To The Residents I Didn't Get to Say Goodbye To

Thank you for being some of the greatest people I have ever met.

674
Alex Atiyeh

Dear Residents,

I am assuming most of you don't know what I am about to say, so I am just going to say it: I quit my job.

There are multiple reasons why I left, but one of the main reasons is because I am trying to follow up on some internships I have been looking into that follow my career path. Let the record show that I did not leave because of any of you guys. I am not typing up this letter to talk about why I quit, but sadly (but hopefully not) say goodbye.

By the time you are reading this my two weeks notice will probably be up, and I will no longer be an employee where you live. Putting in that notice was honestly one of the hardest things I have ever written. I don't regret it, but sometimes I think about how I should have waited until I was home to do it and not while I was at college. After working for you guys for a little under a year now, I am happy to say that I have met some of the nicest people in the world. You guys made the experience of being an activity assistant or whatever my job title was (to this day I really don't know what my position was called, but I know I did activities) a very enjoyable and adventurous one.

There were days when I was super tired and almost fell asleep during our morning stretches or while playing dictionary, and you guys would always call me out on it. There were days when I thought none of you would show up to activities, but in the end you came (just sometimes a little late because you were tired or watching some TV program that I never heard of). There were days when I didn't want to come in because I was having a long week, but I did because I didn't want to let you guys down (nor did I want to get fired). There were days when I gave you more of the beach balls or cupid's cash if you won at bingo because I felt bad that you guys had none.

For those who don't know, the residents get these forms of currency (ex. paper beach balls) and at the end of the month or so they cash them in and get prizes.

There were days where I felt lost and sad, but you guys cheered me up without even knowing it. There were days when I didn't know what I was doing with myself, but you guys helped clear my mind, again, without even knowing it.

The amount of love and respect I have for all of you is high, and I miss you guys so much. I don't think of you guys as residents. I don't think of you guys as old. I don't think of you guys as lazy.

I think of you guys as my friends.

I got close to you all over the months I worked there, and you all made me feel like I had a place. You made me feel like I was doing something good to my life. Sometimes, you guys told me that I shouldn't have been there. Not because I was a bad worker or because you didn't like me, but because you guys said I had more potential than to be "stuck" with you guys. After singing for you guys ever now and then, you would tell me that I better not forget about you all when I'm famous or giving concerts to people. You told me that I had so much more in me than I thought I did.

Some of you told me I should be a teacher. Some of you told me I should be a singer. Some of you told me I should be on Broadway. Regardless, in the end you told me that I have my whole life ahead of me to do great things. I'm not going to lie, there were times when I almost cried after you guys telling me all those things because it was nice to have so much support and love from people that I enjoyed working with. There were some days when you guys would come up to me and slip me a Dunkin' Donuts giftcard because I was doing so well, or it was around the time of the holidays. I wasn't about to cry because I just scored a nice medium thin mint iced coffee from my favorite coffee place, but because you guys treated me so well when in reality you didn't really have to.

I don't know if this is goodbye or not. Maybe they'll call me in to sing for you guys (though I think after putting in my two weeks notice they wouldn't do that... oops). Maybe I'll come in to visit you guys over the summer to say hi and see how you all are.

I remember the last day I worked before I went back to school for my spring semester I told one of you that I will be back in the summer, and this resident replied with, "Summer? I won't be here then!" We laughed because I get it, you guys are older than me, but not by much haha. I don't want to think of that day as my last time seeing you guys. I can't make any promises, but I will try.

I want to end this letter by saying this: Thank you for making my experience of working for you guys an amazing one. I will cherish our moments together forever, and I will be grateful for all of the lessons you taught me. I will always be "the boy" that started working there last summer to you guys I hope. I remember being terrified because I had never worked in a senior living home before, but my mom has done it for so long so I figured it was like a heritable trait (I'm totally kidding).

Thank you again for everything you all have done for me. I will miss our hangman games, singing for you all, and feeling tired during our morning stretches. Most importantly, I will miss you all. Please take care of yourselves. Go to your meals. Get out of bed. Go to the activities despite me not being there because I know that is why you actually came to them (;. Finally, if you decide not to do any of those (though please do because that would not be good), please know that I am beyond grateful for the time I got to spend with you all. I mean that.

Take care friends. Just know that I'm always thinking about you, and that I hope you're doing well.

Sincerely,

Alex Atiyeh

"The Boy"