A Letter To The Parents Who Didn't Raise Me

Believe it or not, I want to thank you.

1009
Shelby Alldred

Dear "Parents",

First off I want to say that this letter is not by any means intended to be a pity party or me looking for some sort of closure or apology after 19 years.

Believe it or not, I actually want to say thank you.

I want to say thank you for not raising me.

Because of the choices you made, I got to grow up in a home with my two grandparents who taught me what being a "parent" really entails. Anyone can conceive a child, not everyone can raise one.

With that being said, I want to thank you for teaching me that unconditional love can come from all sorts of angels besides your "biological" parents. Although your names are on my birth certificate, no amount of legal documents could ever show how much my grandparents, or as I like to call them , the "real" parents, loved me.

I want to thank you because instead of having your bad habits and addictions, I have grandmas strength and grandpas incredibly hard work ethic.

I want to thank you because you taught me that blood really doesn't mean anything. Most of the time, loyalty, love, and even water run a hell of a lot thicker than blood.

Lastly, I want to thank you because had I been under the care of two people who didn't, I don't think I would be nearly as happy or successful as I am today.

I am not angry or sad. I am not resentful or bitter.

I am 19 year old girl studying Journalism at the University of Nevada, Reno currently writing for The Odyssey, and can not wait to further my writing career. I am happy, strong, and more importantly very loved and have a lot of love to give.

And for that, I thank you.