A Letter To Myself During Freshman Year (Of High School)

If I'd known then what I know now...

57
Taylor Clawson

High school was quite a ride. I've only been out since June, but looking back on the experience, there's a lot I would change if I had to do it all over with the knowledge I've since gained.

Dear freshman me,

You're so worried about what others think. STOP. Stop worrying what those around you think. You're all here for one reason and one reason only, to get that diploma. Others' opinions do not define you.

Time is going to fly. Right now waking up at 6 A.M. to spend eight hours in a building with people you don't necessarily enjoy, might sound like it sucks. However, these people are going to become some of your closest friends, and very soon you're going to be in a room, by yourself, craving the familiarity of those around you now.

High school is going to show you the good and bad sides to many people as well as yourself. Girls are going to be mean. They're going to subtweet, whisper, and attempt to "ruin" your life. The best thing you can do is ignore it. Responding to such, simply makes you look ridiculous and weak.

BOYS SUCK. Do not get involved in a boy, and do not let him influence your focus on school. Stay focused. Maintain A's, and get your butt into your dream school.

Try your hardest, but don't let your failures leave you feeling defeated. So basketball's not your thing? Volleyball's not your thing either? So what you failed an exam in French? Remember how it feels to fail, but don't let it ruin you. Fix it the next time around.

A good relationship with your mom is going to get you a long way. You're not going to see eye-to-eye when it comes to absolutely everything, but she's always going to be your biggest fan. Plus she's got a keen eye for spotting fake friends before you realize it yourself.

Stay connected through community service. You've been active in your community thus far, continue doing so. Getting involved is going to introduce you to some of the most incredible people you'll meet in your entire lifetime, while giving you a chance to impact others' lives for the better.

Take chances. Run for executive board of student council. Join choir. Take on the position of yearbook editor. Talk to people you wouldn't normally talk to. All of the chances you take are going to shape you into the woman that you're supposed to be.

Most importantly cherish each and every moment. Never forget the sound of your mom screaming to move faster in the morning, the sound of the bell when you're rushing from your locker, or the sound of your best friend's laugh. Remember the stress and excitement that leads up to prom night, and never forget how pretty you feel all done up in your poofy dream dress. Remember how it feels to cheer for your team, how defensive you get when anyone claims to be better. Never forget the cheers that echo through both A and B wing on Homecoming Friday. Get to know your teachers. Never forget the sound of Mr. Varner's little giggly voice, or the low rumbling growl of Mr. Schmitt's because one day you're going to be writing an article on a Friday night with tears in your eyes thinking about it all.