A Letter To My Little Sisters, Thank You For Teaching Me About Unconditional Love

Being your big sister has been one of my greatest pleasures in this life.

403
Three Tulips Photography

Dear Steph and Morgan,

You guys really aren't so "little" anymore, huh? Watching you grow and change and learn how to love and navigate this crazy world we live in has been such an eye-opening experience for me.

When I decided to start commuting, it was partially because when I lived on campus last year I missed you like crazy. I missed you nagging me to play outside with you and asking me to drive you anywhere and everywhere.

I've had the privilege and the pleasure of seeing you grow up right before my eyes, and I can only hope that I have been a positive influence and role model for you.

There is nothing I want more than to see you two become the strong, beautiful, and successful women that I know you can be.

We have an amazing family, and we are so fortunate to have each other and to have such a strong connection among the three of us. I couldn't ask for better sisters. Well, I could, but I wouldn't get them.

We are all so different, and yet this brings us closer together. The best things come in threes, and that's us.

I love both of you so much, and I am so proud of you every single day. Even though we're all incredibly busy, we make time for each other when we can. Whether it's watching a movie together, playing kickball outside, or going all out in Wii tennis, when we're spending time together like that it makes me so happy.

The older I get, the more I realize how important my siblings are in my life. I'd be so lonely without the two of you, I mean, who else would I build blanket forts and make up crazy games with if I didn't have you two?

Steph, I'm so proud of all you've accomplished this year: making it into your first show, discovering more about your faith, planning and saving and raising money to go on a mission trip, thinking forward to college, and navigating the hell that is junior year of high school.

I'm sorry that throughout your life in all of your classes and everything you do you've been met with, "OH, you're LAUREN's sister," because I never wanted that. I wanted you to have your own story and leave your own legacy at IHS and everywhere else, but it looks like I really am just better than you.

I'm totally kidding, but you probably already knew that. We often don't have to explain ourselves to each other, which is pretty neat. I love bumping to the early 2000's jams that we used to sing at the top of our lungs in elementary and middle school. We grew up on Hillary Duff, Hannah Montana, Iyaz, Kelly Clarkson, Ne-yo, Akon, you name it, when I think about our younger years that is what comes to mind.

And Morgan, you are so so smart and wonderfully creative. I admire how much you care about both animals and people, and I really enjoy spending time with you and listening to P!nk or doing our makeup together. Never ever stop using your imagination, and continue to express yourself to the world exactly as you are.

I can't believe you are seven years old already, you're growing up way, way too fast. I can have sophisticated and complex conversations with you now, which is weird to think about since you're only in first grade. You are capable of so much, and never let anyone convince you otherwise.

There is something about sharing secrets, relationships, family gossip, and inside jokes with siblings where they're the only ones that understand. Having younger siblings is both a blessing and a curse, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I care about both of you so much. Please continue to amaze me and make me proud.

With (Unconditional) Love,

Your Big Sister