An Open Letter To My Younger Self

An Open Letter To My Younger Self

I've done my best, I hope I became everything you wished you would be.

116
An Open Letter To My Younger Self
Diana LaPine

Dear Younger Me,

You're going to hit hard obstacles in life, but you are going to make it. You will have so many things come into your life, just as well as leave your life. You will gain friends, and lose them. You will have heartbreaks. You will struggle with school, your parents, and your mental health. All of these things, though, will only make you into the person you are today. They made you stronger, and a better person.

They made you a better friend, girlfriend, sister, and daughter. There are going to be things you wish you didn't waste your time on or could take back, but it's better that you can't take them back. You may lose yourself sometimes while growing up and finding out who you really are, but you will always find your way back. There will be times that you feel like you're living Murphy's Law ("everything that can go wrong will go wrong"), but I promise that you will get back to the surface and get your grip again.

I have to tell you that you should take more risks, live while you're young, and take advantage of all of the opportunities in front of you. Spend as much time with your friends and family as possible, because you never know when you could lose them. Never fall short on saying "I love you", "I'm sorry", and "thank you." Don't let something that won't matter in five years change your whole mood, because I can tell you it's not worth it.

Take the time to go do as many fun things as you possibly can, especially when you're invited to do it. You will feel so much better than you joined in than missing out by sitting at home. You will get so much more experience out of life that way. You are also going to change your mind so many times about what you want to do with your life, and that's okay. You will figure it out, trust me. You will find your lifelong friends, your dream career, and achieve everything you set your mind to.

Lastly, I just want to tell you to be patient. Everything works itself out in the end. No matter what you are going through, you are so strong, and you are going to come out a different but better person because of it. You have to live and learn, it's the only way you will know how to do better next time. You will have relationships and friendships that end, and it will completely break your heart, but they all teach you a lesson. You find out what you do and don't want in other relationships and friendships. You'll figure it out.

You are going to be great.

Sincerely,

Future You