A Letter To My Dad On Father's Day

A Letter To My Dad On Father's Day

Thank you and I love you.

5155
A Letter To My Dad On Father's Day
Carmen Bonora

Dad, you are the strongest man I know. You have raised us girls up to be hardworking strong women and if I do say so myself, you did a mighty fine job of it. You have helped us become strong and independent women.

You've taught me everything I know about life and the real world. You have instilled a strong work ethic in me, as growing up I would watch you go to work every day no matter if you were sick unless you had the flu. If dad stayed home, you knew it was serious.

This past year has been a hard one for all of us. We lost grandpa, which was a long time coming but that doesn't make it any easier. And while I was at his funeral something huge hit me. We could've lost you. We are extremely fortunate that you are still here with us, and I thank God every day that I still have you here with me. It was horribly scary and heartbreaking to watch you go through open heart surgery, but your recovery was fairly smooth. You continued to get stronger each day and while you still aren't fully recovered, you are much better than you used to be. Seeing you in pain was hard, but we all were strong for you.

Nothing is as heartwarming to me as those moments I get with you, where we build or put something together. Watching you play hockey or baseball with the boys, even just holding the little boys. For the longest time after your surgery you couldn't do that and to see you do it now is a great thing.

I try not to think about what could have happened if the tumor hadn't been found because it's a horrible result. I just thank God that the tumor was found and we were able to get it fixed immediately. Your strength never ceases to amaze me. Through this, all you were a rock. Just like we said before your surgery and even to this day, as your little girls, nothing breaks our dad.

Seeing you getting back to being yourself after your surgery is one of the greatest things. It feels like we can finally have you back, maybe not in the exact same way anymore, but I know that you are still the same person you were before, you just may need more help with physical work than you used to. That I'm perfectly fine with, I don't mind you saying you need me to come and help you carry or lift something because it's too much for you. I'd rather you do that.

You have shown me the ropes of life, you have raised me, you have been there for me when I was down, you love me even when I can't love myself, you are always there to make jokes to cheer me up, you remind me of my strength when I need it. You are the reason why I live my life the way that I do.

After your surgery I have learned not to take you for granted. Anything can happen at any time and I know that now. Now I know to take in each moment I have with you because you never know what the future holds. I'm glad we were given a chance to realize that before we lost you. You're dad. You're strong. Nothing can hurt you, at least in our eyes.

I love you dad. Thank you for everything you have taught me in life. I can't wait to have this last summer up north with you, and to see what else the future holds for us as a family. Together we are strong and we will keep going.

Have a wonderful Father's day, dad. You deserve it.

Love,

Rachel