To The Girl Comparing Herself, You Were Designed By The Creator Of The Universe, Sweet Sister

When we are envious, it is impossible to hold joy in our hearts.

553
123rf

Lovely Sisters,

I know it is difficult. I know that it is so easy to look at your sisters in Christ as competition. I know that it is second nature to rank your fellow daughters of God by appearance, joyfulness, popularity, social media, words, faith, and their walk with Jesus.

But we must stop.

Our measurements of others and seeing how we compare to them is hindering our relationship with Him whether we realize it or not.

How are we supposed to grow in our faith if we are too distracted and overflowing with envy of how strong our sister's faith is?

How are we supposed to radiate joy from the Father if we are believing lies from the enemy that our joy does not compare to that of our sister?

How are we supposed to walk in love for our sisters if we are letting jealousy take root in our hearts?

How are we supposed to rejoice in their successes and their blessings if we are wishing they had been bestowed on us?

I understand this is hard. As I go throughout my day, I catch myself doing it all of the time. I notice that my sisters are prettier than me, are wearing cuter clothes, sharing the Gospel boldly in a way that I haven't, seeking His word more than I am, serving in ways that I haven't, loving others more than me, or they have what seems to be perfect community. It is so incredibly easy to slip into living in this constant state of not being good enough.

Sweet friends, you were created in His image and according to His plan. You were designed and knit together by the God of the universe, the Creator of the earth and the heavens. He created you to glorify Him and worship Him. That is what we are called to, not being the prettiest, not being the most popular, not having the most Instagram likes.

To desire a strong walk with our Jesus and overwhelming joy is not inherently bad, but the harsh truth about our faith comparisons is this:

We are envious of the appearance of a deep relationship with God not genuinely being in a deep relationship with Him.

This is the reality because if we are genuinely seeking a relationship with Him, we would have it. He is there, waiting, seeking us and a relationship with us.

The most authentic way to have the appearance of a faithful commitment to the Lord is to really have a faithful commitment to Him.

Sisters, I know this is a difficult truth to admit, but it is one we have to face and overcome to end the comparisons, end the feeling of not being good enough or faithful enough, and reach a point of genuine seeking not just appearance seeking.

When we take away the comparisons between our sisters in Christ, we not only get rid of hate and jealousy in our hearts for daughters of the King, but we also can truly seek Him.

We can rejoice fully for our sisters and love them without hindrance because we do not see their progress and triumphs as our own failures.

We can encourage them in their false steps instead of celebrating their failing. We can be the friends to each other that God wants us to be.

The chains of comparison weigh heavy with doubt, insecurity, anxiety, nervousness, anger, and hatred. None of these feelings are from the Lord. None of these are what He desires for us. Sweet Sister, let our loving Father break the chains of comparison.

For where there is envy and selfish ambition, there is disorder and every evil practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering without pretense. - James 3:16-17

With all of the love,

Your Sister That Is Facing the Same Struggle