An Open Letter To My First Valentine

An Open Letter To My First Valentine

My father.

43

Papa,

Valentine's Day has turned into the complete opposite of its origins.

Nowadays, people without valentines spend the day sulking, complaining, and stuffing their face with Reese's hearts.

For whatever reason, it has now become "cool" to be anti-Valentine's Day. And I can't help but finally acknowledge that it pisses me off.

Why do we need a significant other in order to celebrate a day dedicated to love? Yes, having someone makes the day more special. But there are still so many other people in this world who show love. Ladies, for example, our fathers.

Let's not forget the only man who will always love you until the very end.

Today is a day I can always count on you, Papa. Last year, being miles and miles away from home, you sent me an edible arrangement with my favorite fruits and chocolates.

And what's crazy, is it doesn't even have to be Valentine's Day to get love from you. You provide unconditional love, support, and wise words to me every single time we speak. And being so far from you only makes me realize it, even more, Papa.

So instead of spending Valentine's Day sulking over being "alone", can us girls acknowledge the great lengths our fathers go for their little girls?

This year, you planned on sending me an edible arrangement again. Instead, you realized my financial struggles and decided to just give me cash. Name a guy who would do that...I'll wait.

It really is the little things that make the biggest difference in our lives. The people who are always there who get forgotten about, because we know they will always be there for us.

So, Happy Valentine's Day Papa. Thank you for loving me, whether it's February 14th or not.

Love always,

Your Little Girl