Let Malia Obama Live

This past week, video surfaced showing Malia Obama at Lollapalooza in Chicago, IL. Like a normal 18 year old, she was dancing with her friends while seeing her favorite artists. She’s currently taking a gap year before attending Harvard in the fall of 2017. It probably sounds ridiculous as to why I’m talking about this, as it should, but the reporting of this “story” has been too much.

I remember being 18 and having fun. I began living on my own when I went to college. I went to concerts, parties, took road trips, stayed with my friends most of the time. I could buy lottery tickets and cigarettes. I could go to certain clubs and vote. Normal things someone at that age can do. You’re legal! (But listen, you also end up being an adult in the eyes of the law, so don’t go too wild.) I point out all of this out because Malia Obama is now 18. If she chooses to do this, she can.

Many videos have been posted of her with friends, dancing at a show, just like you see everyone else doing. People have criticized her and her parents though since she wasn’t at the Democratic National Convention and they’re *horrified* by her behavior. There have also been mentions of her in a crop top and shorts. I know how the media loves to stir things up and exaggerate, but I can’t help and reiterate how trivial it is. I could bring up the Bush twins and their scandals, but I won’t. None of that matters. It’s already hard enough to be in the spotlight that you didn’t ask for, let alone come of age during it. Everyone is waiting on you to mess up because it’s such a good story. The Obama girls have been nothing but classy and graceful at an age when that’s least likely to happen. They're not typical teenagers by any means, but they still have a right to live their life. They don't need permission.

So what if she didn’t attend the DNC; her father isn’t the nominee and maybe she doesn’t like politics.

So what if she’s at Lollapalooza; why does her enjoying herself need to make news?

So what if she’s wearing a crop top; it’s hot as hell at those things, trust me.

So what if she’s dancing; she’s having fun with her friends. You should try it sometime.

Just because someone isn’t a fan of her parents doesn’t mean attacking the kids is okay. It’s low and cheap. Go talk about what Trump said about a Muslim soldier or why Hollywood feels the need to whitewash practically everything, but not about a teenage girl having some fun.