Lessons From Small-Town Iowa

Lessons From Small-Town Iowa

What living in a small midwestern town has taught me.

297
Lessons From Small-Town Iowa
Alyssa Tisinger

Where you grow up has a lot to do with who you become. I was lucky enough to be from a small town that I can be proud of, and happy that I am who I am today because of it.

There are many things that living in a small town has taught me, but there are some major things that have helped shape me to be the person I am today. With a population of 2,300 people and one stop light that only turns red once a year, West Branch, Iowa is the epitome of what most would call "small-town Iowa." I could write about everything that I have learned over the 19 years of my life, but that would take years to complete, so let me just tell you about a few.

I have come to learn that with a tight-knit community, almost anything is possible. We have come together in times of need, and helped each other out more than you could ever imagine. Some people are lucky to have a nice community in their neighborhood, but I am lucky enough to have a community that includes my whole town. There have been so many instances where we came together to help each other in times of need. You truly never know who is there for you until something happens and you have to turn to others because you can't do it alone. We are all only human, and we need other humans frequently. It's okay to lean on others. In the word community, it says unity. We are all united, and we are all together in this little town, and we will always be united — even if we are not living in the same place.

Beauty

I have learned that beauty is so much more than what is seen by the eye. Not only is the town beautiful just for its topography, but because of the small things that make it beautiful in its own way. Beauty is watching the sunrise and thinking about all the other people in the town watching the same sunrise as you. Beauty is the farmers' market every Tuesday night with the same few people who are always there, rain or shine. Beauty is the line out the door of the fire station when a benefit was held for a sick community member. Beauty is Friday night football and watching people of all ages sit and enjoy the night together. Beauty is the presidential library and the wonderful Christmas trees they have up every year. Beauty is the horse-drawn carriages every year at Christmas Past — when it never fails to snow. Beauty is the history of the town and the wonderful stories anyone could tell you. Beauty is small-town Iowa. I learned to embrace the beauty in life.

Resilience

I have seen this community bend, and stretch from so many different events — good and bad. The best thing I have learned from this is to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and continue on. Sure, bad things happen and we can all mourn together, but we will also move on together but ultimately there's no other option. The most important part of resilience, is doing it together. We all don't have to be tough, but when you are able to lean on someone else who is there for you — it makes it much easier to push through. It can take time to overcome some things that happen in life, and you aren't required to recover immediately. I think we learned that this year when we lost a few valuable community members. We were all hurt, and we are still hurting. Someday we will move forward, but it doesn't have to be today, and it doesn't have to be at once. Resilience takes time and patients. It takes counting on others to help you, and understanding life goes on. We can bend and stretch, but we will not break, because we have each other.

Respect

I have learned that respect is one of the most important things in life. You get the respect you give. I have learned that just by saying please and thank you, you are able to make someone's day. We may be a small town, but we come from all walks of life. We come from all different backgrounds. We all have our own story to tell. I may not understand everyone and what it's like to walk in their shoes, but I have surely learned to respect what they have gone through and not judge them. We all don't have to agree on something, but we do have to respect each other's opinion.

Reliability

This is for days when you happen to lock your keys in your car (again) and you have to be to work in an hour. I can rely on the police to be there quickly to unlock my car for me, so I am able to go on with my day. (True story, thanks, Chief Horahan.) Reliable is being able to count on your neighbor to grab your mail and newspaper if you're out of town. Reliable is knowing you can sleep at night without worrying about the neighborhood violence. (Reliable is not the school's WiFi.) Reliable is knowing someone will be at the library to recommend which book I should read next. Reliability is knowing someone will be there for you, no matter what it is you may need.

Love

This is a perfect one to end with. What are we without love? What would the world be like if there wasn't love? Well, it wouldn't be pretty. There is enough love in my town for the whole state of Iowa. We love each other like family, and love everyone no matter what. We show love when things are hard, when they're good, or bad and everything in between. I love this town, and I love the people in it. I wouldn't trade growing up in a small town for the world. I love the sense of community, beauty, resilience, respect, reliability, love, and so many other things that make this town what it is. I am forever grateful for all the wonderful people who have taught me these important things, and I can't wait to keep learning.