2 Countries Opened My Eyes To True Compassion

Be accepting and be kind.

215
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/06/6366122289074341271765278161_back-view-backlit-city-847483.jpg

Everyone it seems has dreams of traveling the world, but few are able to actually achieve this dream. Traveling, I believe, is something that everyone should have the ability to experience because there are things that simply sitting in a classroom and group projects can't teach you. If you want to truly understand the culture of a country, you have to go there and immerse yourself in it. If you want to understand the people, you have to meet them and talk with them. The best way to study geography is to get out there yourself and go exploring. The saddest part of this is that because of classes, money, or work, many people are unable to take advantage of the world around us -- literally.

I've learned some of my best lessons while I was traveling. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to visit the Dominican Republic and England with my family. While the trips were for different reasons, the lessons I learned were very similar.

In the Dominican Republic, a country reliant on the tourism industry, I saw what the communities outside of the tourist areas looked like, and I learned never to take what I have for granted because I could have so much less materially. I make it a point to say materially, because these people were rich in spirit and love for their culture and who they were, but most importantly, for their families. Family to them is everything, and as long as they had their family, they had everything that they could ever need. This is something that is not often seen in America anymore, and it's hard to realize sometimes.

The contrast could not have been more clear to me that after I visited the beautiful country, and now I do my best to focus on my family as much as I possibly can. I learned how much fun it can be to get out of your comfort zones, to dance on the deck of a boat with one of the crewmen as he teaches you how to Merengue (the national dance). I tried new foods, and swam with sharks, and did many other things I never thought I would ever find myself doing. I also learned what it truly means to accept people for who they are and for their differences.

When I went to the Dominican Republic, I knew I was going to look different than the people that live there, and I knew that I was going to speak a different language (although I'm learning Spanish). It was an indescribable feeling to be the person that looked different, instead of the other way around, and it made me realize that this is what many people feel on a daily basis, especially when they're ostracized for their appearance -- something they have no control over. However, the people were incredibly welcoming and friendly, in the resort and out of it, and I never felt like I was out of place when I was there, after the initial feelings of course.

I was worried to speak Spanish when I was there, in fear that I might offend someone who is a native speaker. I was shocked when the people that lived there were encouraging me to speak Spanish, and would get excited when I'd speak it with them. When I made a mistake, they would correct me with a smile, and if I didn't know a word, they would teach it to me without hesitation. The kindness and compassion these people taught me and showed me will be with me for the rest of my life.

When I visited England, my brother was playing soccer with other boys from all across the US. I had never been on a plane for that long and had no idea what to expect. I learned to just go with the flow and to not worry so much about things I can't control, because someone who is trained will do everything in their power to keep you safe (I have some slight flying anxiety).

When we got to England, I was overjoyed. England had been at the top of my bucket list places to visit for years. The people were incredibly welcoming and helpful, and very much the opposite of stereotypes (which again proves not to believe them!). I remember distinctly a little boy, probably no more than six years old, coming up to me and some of the moms of the boys playing soccer, and sitting down with us. He took a liking to me, and I taught him about American money, which he found incredibly fascinating because he collected international currency. He told me at one point in our conversation, that he loved my accent, and that he wished that he had mine instead, and as you can imagine I was absolutely taken aback because I'd love to have a British accent!

I showed him where in the States I'm from, and he asked me about places I'd visited, and where I wanted to see in England. He told me lots of places I had to go, including his favorite park, but sadly I was unable to see it. His compassion and genuine happiness is something I'll never forget. The other parents on the trip, including mine, treated me like one of the adults, and I learned how to stand firm in what I believe and to not back down from an intellectual conversation. I learned about the history of the country, and the geography of England completely blew me away.

There is nothing like standing in the middle of a 1,000-year-old cathedral in England in the middle of the afternoon while the organist practices. The hustle and bustle of London quickly became a sort of lullaby, and the rolling hills became a backdrop of peace. The soccer matches were full of laughter, passion, and excitement -- as were the people I met at them.

There is nothing that can compare to traveling and the lessons that can be learned while doing it. I wouldn't trade these trips for anything, and I simply wish that I have the opportunity to see more of the world. My biggest dream, however, is that other people have the same ability to travel, even if it's within the same country that they live in. There are lessons to be learned everywhere, traveling simply increases the variation between the lessons. I've found that the same basic things are the same no matter where in the world you go: acceptance, love, kindness, and joy.