17 Lessons I've Learned in 2017 Worth Taking To 2018

Lessons I've learned the past year and will be taking into the new year.

773
pxhere

Whenever the new year comes around, you find yourself hoping for a certain change to occur in your life. Whether it be adopting a healthy lifestyle, reading more or bettering your relationships with people, there’s always some "improvement" that you feel you need in your life.

Going into 2018, all that I want to bring with me are the life lessons that I have learned throughout the past year. I'm halfway through my junior year of college, and I have been with Odyssey for six months (yay!). There have been good experiences and bad experiences, but I will be able to take away these 17 things into the new year.

1. Be Patient

You're going to get overwhelmed at some point. Nothing will be going according to 'plan', and you'll want to panic. Just keep reminding yourself that life will work itself out, because it will.

2. Mental Health Is The Top Priority

Whether it be depression, anxiety or another form of mental illness, now is the most important time to take control of it, before it starts to control you. There are so many resources available to you if you suffer from a mental illness, and you owe it to yourself to get help. Your university could have life-changing resources such as mine, which offers free counseling sessions and discounted doctors visits.

3. Take Every Opportunity

Take every opportunity that comes your way, whether it be a scholarship for a study abroad trip or a business trip with new co-workers, go for it. You never know what you could gain from it. What's the worst that could happen?

4. Experience Everything

This past year, I realized that I let fear hold me back from many experiences growing up. I'm almost 21 years old, and I just got my license this past August, went to parties for the first time and got my nose pierced. Don't miss out on the little things, and (if it's safe and legal) just say yes.

5. Live Without Regrets

There are very few things that permanently set you back from living a fulfilling life. It's easy to look back at things and wonder what your life would be like if you had done something better or taken a different path. Everything happens for a reason, so instead of feeling regretful, make the most of what you have.

6. Turn Negative Experiences Into Positive Experiences

Everything can be a learning experience if you keep a positive mindset. Don't dread on anything when you could combat the negative with a positive outlook and do better next time.

7. Everything Will Be OK

It may seem like the world is ending when you don't do so well on a test, or your car gets towed because, god forbid, you parked in the wrong spot for five minutes. Life does have its chaotic moments, but they'll all be over soon, and you'll look back on them and laugh.

8. Don't Stress Over What You Have No Control Over

Unfortunately, you will face setbacks in life, especially in your twenties. You'll make mistakes or bad decisions, but that doesn't mean you're finished. Take it, learn from it and move on.

9. Don't Compare Yourself

It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing with their lives. It's so easy to look at someone in your same major that's getting the best internships and opportunities and feel like you're failing, but you aren't. It just isn't your time yet, so don't let it discourage you.

10. Do What Makes You Happy

I don't know about you, but I found myself worrying a lot about my future based on small things, such as money. The ultimate goal in life is to be happy, so don't determine your career or plan based on how much money you'll be making because you'll just be miserable. Do what you love!

11. You Are Worth It

Everything that you're doing with your life right now has a purpose. You are worth the quality friends that you have and the money spent on your tuition. It won't always seem like it, but I promise that you are worth it.

12. You Don't Need To Know Everything Right Now

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing how to do something. Everyone has had to learn how to do everything from writing a check to figuring out why your sink won't drain, so don't feel like you've failed as an adult quite yet.

13. There Is No Need To Rush

Graduation, marriage, children and all of the other milestones that you're still yet to face will happen. Life is short, so don't miss out on where you're at in life right now just to get to the 'good parts'.

14. Don't Take Your Family & Friends For Granted

Your true family and friends will always be there when you need them. Don't ever hesitate to call them and make plans when everything seems to be going wrong, and you just need to vent.

15. Budgeting Is Key

Money can be extremely stressful, but it doesn't have to be. If you have a job, save at least ten percent of each paycheck, pay your monthly expenses, and do whatever you want with what's left over. Just knowing that everything that needs to be paid for is taken care of, and you're saving some of it, will relieve that constant money stress.

16. Alone Time Is Life

Spending time with yourself is the best time. Binge watch Friends, play Sims for four hours, or whatever it is that you do to relax. Give yourself that time every day, even if it's just an hour in the morning or before you go to sleep, and you'll feel so much better.

17. Don't Forget To Have Fun

This past year, I made my social life a priority, because I never really have before. I reserve Friday nights for 'Girls Night' with my roommate and our friends. It gives me something to look forward to every week, and it's just great to be able to hang out with your friends without it being for studying or work.