10 Lessons I learned From 'Zootopia'

10 Lessons I learned From 'Zootopia'

Disney fans can glean a lot from this favorite film

4378
10 Lessons I learned From 'Zootopia'
screenrant.com

Zootopia instantly became a Disney fan-favorite film from the first day it hit the big screen, a box-office smash that earned over $1 billion in profit and became the second top-grossing original film of all time. Adults and kids alike fell in love with the two main characters, Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, as well as the movie's humor and unique story. The film, currently available on Netflix, additionally resonates with many viewers because personal experiences allow them to connect with these lovable characters. Here are 10 lessons I learned after I watched this touching animated flick.

1. Don't let other people crush your dreams

As a young bunny onstage, Judy enthusiastically announced her desire to serve as a police officer. However, her community gasped loudly and thought this idea was terrible. Her own parents even tried to discourage her because they thought danger would follow her everywhere and that a little bunny like her could never successfully uphold the law. Others opposed her desires, yet Judy did not abandon her pursuit and endured everything thrown at her — including her appointment as a "meter maid." She even willingly embarrassed herself when she asked Chief Bogo to for a different job assignment. The little bunny's determination provides hope for anyone who does not truly believe their dreams will come true.

2. You'll never get anywhere if you don't take risks and fail in the process

Officer Hopps took many risks — she entered the police force, stopped criminals as a meter maid, worked with a sly fox, nearly died in an ice bath, encountered savage animals, lost support from a new friend, opposed corrupt leaders, and jeopardized her own life. Furthermore, she told her parents, "the only thing to fear is fear itself." Despite her courage, Judy still dealt with uncertainty, but she accepted failure and learned from her mistakes. Too many people live life with regrets because they dread failure and disappointment. However, it is impossible to achieve any goal without missteps because we are not perfect and cannot learn how to master skills without making mistakes first. Risks are scary, yet a necessary for goalsetting.

3. The world needs visionaries

There are people in society sitting on their couch watching movies — much like this one — that hold great ideas and insights in their heads that could significantly impact the community around them. However, these people are generally humble and do not express their thoughts because others may criticize their ideas. Change cannot occur without visionaries — the world's greatest movements, revolutions, and transformations all occurred because someone saw possibilities for innovation and improvement. These dreamers shift status quo, unveil blinded eyes, and allow others to view things from a fresh perspective. Judy saw the need for justice, and she eventually brought it to Zootopia. Without her vision, the force may never have solved the missing mammal cases.

4. See the best in people

Judy examined everyone's positive sides right from the start. She did not become angry at her parents for their lack of support, showed compassion towards Nick and has sidekick in the ice cream shop, and even saw the cunning fox's good side when others told him he could never truly be honest. Our society constantly fixes on peoples' flaws instead of seeing them for their true selves. Women must wear a size 0-4 can't have thick eyebrows, while men must have tone bodies and can never show emotion.

In addition, people often judge others and form false first impressions. Like the other characters, Nick didn't think Judy could do her job well. However, he eventually discovers her that determination and her relentless pursuit of justice make her a great officer.

5. Good ultimately overcomes evil

The city of Zootopia hit evil head-on and faced several missing mammal cases. Even though corrupt leaders tried to control savage animals for their personal benefit, good prevailed when Judy, Nick, and the other police force members solved the mystery. Bad things happen in our world today and evil people escape punishment, but anyone who desires to halt these unethical people will find a way and bring restoration to society.

6. One must pay their dues

Judy arrived at Zootopia thinking she would readily receive a case due to her success at the police academy. However, Chief Bogo does not share the same ideas and appoints her to traffic meter duty. The new recruit pleads for one of the 14 missing mammal cases, but the boss does not budge. Frustrated, Judy excels at this lower position and inspects every last parking meter, but she still does not receive a promotion. Many have experienced similar situations in their life. I personally experienced this as a journalism major. Even though I wrote several pieces for the campus newspaper over the last two years, I did not receive a campus media position until this year. Judy inspires me and reminds everyone that they must start from the bottom and work their way upward in any profession.

7. People deceive others

Judy walked into Jumbeaux's cafe and sincerely believed a mistreated fox hoped to purchase a jumbo pop for his elephant-loving son. However, her naivetie allowed the sly criminal to steal a popsicle formula for his own agenda. Even though Nick changed at the story's end, his previous habits convey how we can never remain too careful in an individualistic society where people often put their own needs first. Despite this trend, people can still trust others around them, yet they must remember that even their closest friends could hurt them at some point because nobody is perfect.

8. Defy labels and stereotypes

Nick eventually tells Judy that he only deceived people because others told him, when he wanted to become a ranger scout, that foxes could never truly remain honest due to their inbred dishonesty. After Judy listens to his story, she reminds him that this label does not define him and that he is not actually an immoral fox as others believe. The wise bunny's advice actually helps Nick realize that he truly does not have to accept stereotypes. This revelation even allows him to view Judy as a strong, capable officer instead of the weak, dumb bunny he originally thought she was.

9. Leaders are not perfect

The two major leaders in Zootpia — Lionheart and Mayor Bellewether — seemed like the film's two most innocent people. However, this pair actually were Zootpia's two major criminals that captured the missing mammals and caused them to become savage. How could two kind people deceive their citizens? Albeit a fictitious story, "Zootopia" reminds the world that those in positions of power are not necessarily the moral or honorable and that citizens should remove these corrupt people from power.

10. Always book appointments at the DMV

I learned this lesson as a young 15-year-old when I first took my permit test. "Zootopia" illustrates why it is imperative to book advance appointments at the DMV, comically using dreadfully slow sloths as employees. The DMV takes a long time to help customers due to long lines and piles of paperwork. Lesson learned — call in advance before standing in line drives you crazy.