5 Lessons We Can All Learn From Triple Frontier

5 Lessons We Can All Learn From 'Triple Frontier'

"You don't go this far, without crossing every line."

40

Triple Frontier is one of Netflix's latest films available for streaming. When I saw the trailer for it several weeks before it came out, I was immediately intrigued and made a mental note to watch it. Soldiers, war, crime, money, and several good-looking actors – seemed like a great film for a Friday night. As the movie progressed, I was surprised by how relatable it is to everyday life. Sure, the vast majority of us aren't retired special forces officers with a set of really cool skills, but the choices the characters make and the consequences that come of their choices are some good lessons for all of us to learn from.

1. Money corrupts, plain and simple.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488606/mediaviewer/rm939027456

When the five retired special forces officers get back together for one last mission, they start out on the right foot. It doesn't take long, however, before all of them fall into the trap of loving money. Their motives are good, they just want the money to help their families and build good futures for themselves. Greed, poor decision making, and utter selfishness quickly ensue. 1 Timothy 6:10 states: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

2. Stick with your brother, no matter what.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488606/mediaviewer/rm754478080

Despite the myriad not-so-good decisions that these men make, they stick together. It's hard, it's dirty, it's dangerous, and when things go south they know they might not all make it out. But they stick together anyway. Proverbs 18:24 says: "One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Working for a retired special forces officer, I have personally seen how men who've fought together stay friends for life. Why? Because the missions they went on and the wars they fought bonded them in ways those of us who haven't seen warfare can't understand. You have to trust your fellow soldier with your life. If you don't, the mission is a failure.

3. Apologize and fix the situation.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488606/mediaviewer/rm905473024

You never know when it's going to be the last time you see someone. If you've wronged someone and need to apologize, don't wait around to do so. There's a specific scene in this film where one of the guys sincerely apologizes for a bunch of crap he said to another one of the guys. It's always a good idea to apologize immediately when you've done wrong. You don't want to leave loose ends because you truly don't know when it's "your turn" to go.

4. Don't hesitate to do the right thing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488606/mediaviewer/rm720923648

Making the right choice can be excruciatingly difficult. Sometimes, in the moment, it doesn't even seem like the right thing to do, but you know in your gut that it is. After numerous poor decisions, these five men are brought to a realization that starts them on a path of making one good decision after another. Sometimes you have to be completely broken down in order to be properly built up.

5. Know that people are much more valuable than things.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488606/mediaviewer/rm888695808

When these men start valuing possessions more than people, their poor choices begin. It's the same in real life. When we make things more important than fellow humans, we treat humans like trash and things like prized property. Put your focus on the wellbeing of others and you will make wise decisions. We can certainly learn that from Triple Frontier.