5 Lessons From Roald Dahl

5 Lessons From Roald Dahl

We grew up on his books and cheered for his movies, but have we ever thought of how he prepared us for life?

219
5 Lessons From Roald Dahl
Parade.com

It's been 26 years since Ronald Dahl passed, but his magical stories still echo in so many minds. Dahl is ubiquitous today. His books continuously grace the shelves of children worldwide and his work has made several appearances on the big screen like Matilda and the 2016 adaptation of The BFG. Known for his ability to make magic on the page, his stories have made lasting impressions in the hearts of both old and young people. Though coated with fantasy and dream-like plots, Dahl's creations are rich with lessons. From giant peaches to glass elevators to magical powers, Dahl exposes some of life's greatest mysteries and troubles by providing solutions to them all while maintaining eccentricity and mischief.

As the children raised on Dahl's books grow up, there's no question some of these bits of wisdom have been embedded into their minds and will likely stick with them forever. I believe this because I adored (and still adore) Roald Dahl and often, I find myself in the same positions as his characters and using his stories to inspire me to do better, be stronger, and take life's situations head-on with full confidence and a bit of wit and bravery.

I've compiled a list of the most essential life lessons this absurd yet lovable author taught me and so many other Dahl-lovers. Who knows if these are truly essential or helpful to every person? It's worth taking his advice and trying it out in life though. In the words of Roald Dahl, “You should never, never doubt something that no one is sure of.”

1. Reading is powerful. It can free and empower you. The more you read, the more of a leader you become.

Matilda, a young and misunderstood genius, grows up in an environment barren of books and love. However, after independent trips to the library and an encouraging teacher, she find strength and magical powers. She finds herself much like the characters in her books: fearless and strong-willed to act against the injustices in her life. Not to mention, Matilda learns that what she learned in books has made her a more courageous and clever leader.

“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” –Roald Dahl, Matilda

2. Stand up for what you deserve. Being independent, inventive, and determined without fear of ridicule is the answer to your problem.

The witty and tricky Mr. Fox is sick of his living conditions. Without the orders or advice from anyone, he decides to get his friends and family out of the hole they've been forced to starve and live in due to the nearby human farm's activities. He hatches a plan to stand up for what he wants and will stop at nothing to make sure it happens. His sheer will and strong drive that unites his family and friends and gets the results he wants.

"I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice." –Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

3. Your friends are an important part of your life.

An orphan living with two evil aunts, James from James and The Giant Peach just wants friends. After discovering a humongous peach in his garden, James surprisingly meets a group of unique friends who supportively travel with him across the Atlantic Ocean in this giant peach. James finds that no matter what they look like or how he found them, his friends helped him find the confidence to escape his evil aunts, help other children, discover the world around him. We can't forget his friends also helped him live happily ever after.

"There are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't even started wondering about yet." –Roald Dahl, James and the Giant Peach

4. You can learn an awful lot about someone if you just get to know them.

Orphan Sophie encounters the Big Friendly Giant (BFG) and is fearful of him, begging him not to eat her. Despite his scary disposition, he explains that looking past someone's appearance and giving him a chance can be quite rewarding. Sophie befriends the BFG and embarks on a journey to wipe out all bad giants who kill "human beans" and promote wrongdoings in the world. During this journey, Sophie learns that "two rights don't equal a left" when she and the BFG devise a plan to non-violently defeat the mean giants. Through the magic of independence, peace, and dignity, Sophie is able to be strong on her own and help the BFG win the justice he deserves. A little girl can be just as strong as a powerful giant; it all depends on the strength in your mind and heart!

"The BFG made a rush at the Fleshlumpeater, but the colossal fifty-four-foot-high giant simply knocked him over with a flick of his free arm. At the same time, Sophie fell off the BFG’s palm on to the ground. Her mind was racing. She must do something! She must! She must!” –Roald Dahl, The BFG

5. Never, ever, ever lose your imagination. It's the single most valuable and original thing you have.

Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is undeniably original. Wonka takes pride in his creations. He goes wherever his imagination takes him without hesitation. He's a hero. The dreamland Willy Wonka is a perfect example is every child's fantasy: candy galore, all-you-can-eat creations, and a care-free zone filled with singing and happiness. But what Roald Dahl really wants his readers to realize is that you can create your own Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory at any time...only with your imagination! Your factory can produce all sorts of things from ideas to books to machines to success. All you should do is think independently and inventively.

"In your wildest dreams you could not imagine that such things could happen to you! Just wait and see!" –Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

One more thing...

In Roald Dahl's memoir Boy, he wrote, “My candle burns at both ends it will not last the night but ah my friends and oh my foes it gives a lovely light." If anything you've learned from Roald Dahl, is that we all burn and we all burn at different rates. Some of us burn fiercely and bright without any regard to whom or what might blow us out and some of us burn slowly and quietly with consideration. Whichever way we burn, however, Roald Dahl reminded us that it's better to show the beauty in your light than hide it. No matter how lopsided, how dull, how tall, or how short your light may appear– there is no light quite like your own and there is no feeling quite like loving and believing in the power of your own light. And that, my friends, is the best kind of magic.