Lessons Performers Learn

5 Life Lessons Every Performer Learns Over The Years

No matter how hard life gets and how much goes wrong, you must push on.

790
Facebook

Singing has always been my passion; no matter how I am feeling, singing and performing bring me great joy. I remember at the age of three performing the musical Annie around my home as my parents filmed. I thought one day I would be a famous singer.

As a young girl who moved around a few times (and who had absolutely no athletic capability), my small school didn't offer a lot of extracurricular involvement for me. My mom, wanting to get me off the couch, found a community theater in Ohio with an audition for the musical Annie.

It wouldn't have been my first time auditioning for a musical or singing in front of people. I had been an active member of my youth choir since I was five and I would audition for solos in the choir constantly. I also participated in my musical theater performances at school.

But, this was the first time that I would be auditioning for something non-school related. Needless to say, I was terrified. I didn't know anybody else who was auditioning and I didn't know anybody who was involved with the theater.

The day of the audition was terrifying. There were over 100 other children that were auditioning alongside me. They were only going to take up to 15 of us. I knew at that moment that since it was my first audition I would not make the show.

To my surprise, after my audition, one of the judges came up to me and told me I had done a wonderful job. I went home feeling like it was a great first audition that would prepare me for auditions in the future. I knew that whether or not I got the part, I had my foot in the door for future auditions.

About a week later I got a call from the director saying he would like to offer me the role of Cecille, an adult maid. I would also be a member of the chorus, performing various numbers as various characters. This was such an exciting opportunity for me and it led me into the life of community theater in Findlay, Ohio.

After performing in Annie, I performed in many other musicals and plays throughout the community, including at school. I held various positions in the community theater world, both onstage and backstage. These opportunities taught me a great deal about myself and life.

1. Sometimes you have to be pushed to your limits to perform at your best.

My first time as a performer in a community theater play was difficult. I believe that my greatest strength is singing and this is something plays do not contain. Although there are no songs in Cheaper by the Dozen, I really wanted to be involved since there was a character that was my age in the show.

Performing in a play where people purchase $15 tickets to watch great acting put a lot of pressure on me, as did my director.

2. Sometimes things may not end up as you imagined and that's okay.

You might think you're the best fit for a particular role, but you don't end up with that role. That happened to me once. While it was absolutely devastating, it helped me realize that I won't get everything I want. It also taught me that my idea of what would be good for something isn't somebody else's idea.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I auditioned for a musical at a local community theater and I did not get a part. I was sick and my voice was froggy. I do think that had a big part in why I wasn't cast.

While this was a hard lesson to learn, it gave me the desire to try harder. The next year, I landed TWO lead roles in musicals. I may not have done that if I wasn't pushed to be a better performer.

3. You will have to work as a team for the production to be its best.

You may not like everyone, and that's okay. But when you are in a theater production, everyone has to work together and throw away their judgments of people for work to get done, for sets to get built, and for scenes to be performed.

When I was a senior in high school, I had the honor of being the assistant music director for Youtheatre's Willy Wonka Kids! It was vital that I worked together with the music director, director, and assistant director so that the cast of 70+ children would perform to the best of their ability. While we may not have always agreed with one another, we respected our roles and each other's opinions enough to work together.

This is a great life lesson because sometimes teamwork can be difficult. Sometimes teammates don't get along. Sometimes disagreements happen. So long as the goal is the same, you can put aside your differences and make something beautiful.

4. Keep acting, through anything.

A lot of stuff can go wrong during a performance. Actors can forget their lines, wardrobe malfunctions can occur, props can break. Through all of the chaos that goes on both on and off stage, you must keep going.

Once, during a performance of Titanic, one of the props I made broke mid-scene. I was on the stage at the time. As disappointed as I was, I could not show any emotion. I pretended I didn't even know it broke off. Another actor picked it up and moved along with the scene.

This lesson is true in real life as well. No matter how hard life gets and how much goes wrong, you must push on. You cannot stop because you have got a production (your life) to perform.

5. You will have to push yourself to terrifying levels but if you believe in yourself, it will pay off.

When I was a sophomore, I landed one of my first lead roles as Ti Moune in the musical Once on This Island. This musical featured a lot of dancing. Dancing is not a hobby or talent of mine.

As Ti Moune, I was required to perform a dance solo; this was arguably one of the scariest things I have ever had to do.

My choreographer was amazing! She knew how scared I was to perform this dance. She also understood I didn't know many dance moves. She choreographed a beginner dance with some island flare.

Now I am in college and I don't have much time for theater. Being involved in community theater takes up many of your nights and weekends. Taking 15 credits hours and working three jobs makes it hard to audition for shows.

Although I have not done much community theater lately, I will always be passionate about it. It will always be a hobby of mine.

Theater has taught me how to survive the adult world and given me meaningful connections. Once my school years are over, I plan to get back to doing my favorite thing in the world once again.

Related Articles Around the Web