Slut-Shaming And Not Communicating And Hearts Breaking, Oh My!

The finale of 'Bachelor In Paradise' was packed full of drama, but it also included some very valuable lessons that we can all learn from.

23

'Bachelor In Paradise' has come to a close, and a lot of the questions Bachelor Nation has been wondering throughout the season have finally been answered. From the very beginning of the season, a few common factors have united Bachelor Nation. Hannah Godwin and Dylan Barbour's blossoming relationship, Demi Burnett and Kristian Haggerty shattering norms and becoming the franchises first ever same-sex couple, and multiple different cast member's inability to fully express themselves in their relationships.

While a lot of people are skeptical about the relationships that come out of these shows and whether or not they actually have potential to thrive, we saw that they can on the finale. Three couples from previous seasons of the 'Bachelor In Paradise' spoke at the finale on love, children, and making life together work once the cameras are off. These relationships are just like relationships formed organically in 'the real world'; they all take work, sacrifice, communication, and a whole lot of love.

One of the biggest topics of conversation on the finale was the situation that took place at the Stagecoach Country Music Festival between Blake Horstmann and Caelynn Miller-Keyes. They hooked up before going to paradise, words were thrown around, people cried, and Blake felt it necessary to post late night text messages that he had received from Caelynn on the night that they hooked up. At the reunion, Blake was asking how posting those messages was slut-shaming, and did not see the problem in posting them, even though Caelynn was very harshly attacked online for having sex after he posted that.

There is a lesson we can ALL take from this situation - slut-shaming happens so much more frequently than we think, and it is ALWAYS women who are getting attacked for expressing their sexual feelings.

Sexual attraction is literally a part of our human nature. While it is everyone's choice whether or not they want to express sexual feelings they are having, NO ONE should be shamed and put down for doing something that comes so naturally to every single person in the world.

After that situation was somewhat resolved, Katie Morton, who got engaged to Chris Bukowski at the end of the season, came on stage and talked about their relationship since the engagement. She stated she was "exhausted", because she puts in so much effort everyday and loves him so much, but she feels that she is doing so much and not getting anything in return. She expressed that the only way that she knows that he loves her is in the way that he tells other people he does, not in the way that he shows her.

In love, possibly more than in any other aspect of life, actions speak so much louder than words.

The communication in this relationship is clearly lacking, as Chris stated he was blindsided by everything Katie had said. Communication is a very important aspect in every healthy relationship, and every relationship will struggle without good and clear conversations about almost everything. This is another amazing lesson we can take away from the finale of this show.

Towards the end of the finale, Demi and Kristian, the franchises first ever single-sex couple, came on stage and talked about their relationship and their engagement. They spoke about the amount of love they have received from fans and loved ones. The people who were on the show, as well as all of Bachelor Nation, embraced this couple with open and loving arms. Viewers were shown some of the purest love we have ever seen on this franchise, and it is a really good example that love truly is love, no matter what.

Hidden within this crazy show are actually a lot of things we can learn about relationships, love and acceptance. I cannot wait to watch Pilot Peter's season of The Bachelor and maybe learn a thing or two about love, life, and windmills (wink, wink).