Joker Stand-Alone Film: DiCaprio Wanted

Joker Stand-Alone Film: DiCaprio Wanted

Martin Scorsese is attached to the project.

81
Joker Stand-Alone Film: DiCaprio Wanted
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/warner-bros-joker-leonardo-dicaprio

Warner Brothers is slated to create a Joker solo film that is not attached to the DCEU. This stand alone film will be set as an origin story for the clown prince of crime, and attached to the project is legendary and award-winning filmmaker Martin Scorsese.

An origin sounds weird, right? Especially with the source material not necessarily having an origin story, besides The Killing Joke. Warner Bros. knows this, DC knows this, so bringing the one shot book to the table would be interesting. Showing the transition to Joker would be memorable for film, and DiCaprio would be the guy to bring that role to the screen. The thing is, if fully casted and confirmed to play the clown prince, DiCaprio would have 3 significant roles to play.

1. The Comedian

Showing the struggle of Joker would be a good first act of the film. Scorsese is great at character development and showing the man behind the clown would establish a sympathetic tone to the character. A comedian that isn't funny, struggling to pay the bills, and has a wife that is pregnant. Jack Napier, a man trying to follow his dreams and trying to put food on the table.

2. The Red Hood

Martin Scorsese and crime? In a movie? Sounds right up everyone's alley. Red Hood being tackled on with DiCaprio would show how diverse he can be, as an actor. This would also be an opportunity for Warner Bros. to use Scorsese and bring that Goodfellas vibe to the table. The Joker's first shot with crime. The desperation, the innocence of that character, and the crime that would lead him into becoming something so iconic. The Joker.

Seeing DiCaprio become the clown would be powerful. Throw the 'R' rating on the film and you would have the most accurate representation of that transformation. Seeing the character before Joker and how the accident that led him to becoming the most iconic villain of all time would make this one of the most iconic comic book films.

Making a stand-alone Joker film is a bold move by Warner Bros. By taking The Killing Joke as inspiration, Scorsese would have a Oscar-worthy film on his hands. Getting DiCaprio would be the next big step and hopefully, DiCaprio will sign on.