The Lehigh Valley: Exposed

The Lehigh Valley: Exposed

Every area has its quirks. Take a look at what the Lehigh Valley has to offer.

57
The Lehigh Valley: Exposed
Frank Smith

The Lehigh Valley is made up of 3 major cities: Easton, Allentown, and Bethlehem. In such a populated area, it's easy to assume that there are vast activities and options to keep people busy. Any tourist can look up descriptions for the most popular attractions around, but there is no true account of a place unless seen through the eyes of someone who has already been there.

Within this thriving area, there are several hidden gems along with grandiose attractions feeding into a tourist's hungry soul. Each city is home to their own quirky exhibits, like the rose garden in Allentown, or Bethlehem's very own Sands Casino. There should never be a dull moment in the valley, just exciting scenery and worthwhile experiences.

The city of Easton, home to the Red Rovers, holds one of the longest standing high school rivalries in the nation. Residents are brought up with pride, and hold the rivalry with Phillipsburg High School deep in their hearts. If you're in the area during Thanksgiving, this is a football game to see because people will talk about it for years to come. NFL fans don't come close to the amount of pride and honor these residents exemplify. There is a week long celebration including a girls football game, police football game, pep rally, and finally the main event, the Thanksgiving Day Game.

Easton also has beautiful nature trails tucked away deep in forested areas. Walkers and cyclists alike immerse themselves in their surroundings and take in what the outdoors have to offer. Paths like the D & L Trail run alongside the Lehigh River where travelers can admire the wildlife around the riverbanks, and visit the National Canal Museum. For those adventurous souls, try making your own route through the wilderness, or maybe take a ride on the infamous canal boat and learn about the system. This trail features milestones in history regarding the museum, as well as Island Park, which can be seen from the trail. According to a previous news article entitled "Summers At Island Park" written by Denise Reaman of The Morning Call, it was a summer haven in the late 1800's but was condemned due to ice jams on the trolley bridge. 1919 ended Island Park's reign as a social hotspot and the rides were dismantled. Photographs of the original park are available on the D & L Trail as a part of the historical markers. Of course there is still part of the park out there because different attractions and pieces were donated to other parks in the area. If you're looking for a historic treasure hunt, Island Park is a great place to start.

The city of Easton attracts travelers because of its beautiful scenery and historic appeal; however, Bethlehem also has a lot to offer the Lehigh Valley in terms of activities and tourist attractions.

One of the most popular places to visit is the Sands Casino within the city of Bethlehem Before this casino was built, most nearby residents would travel to Atlantic City if they felt the urge to roll some die. Not everyone came to gamble though, some chose to admire the old steel stacks which were once a part of Bethlehem Steel Company. When operational, this company provided jobs for the majority of residents in the Bethlehem area. The steel stacks are a symbol of prosperity and historic pride amongst the community, but they are also famous in the movie world. These looming structures had their big debut in the beginning of the second Transformers movie, Revenge of the Fallen. Now at night, the stacks are lit up and remind those of the days when Bethlehem Steel flourished.

Inside this casino there is an outlet mall for all the shopaholics in the area, and one of the most well known clubs in the Lehigh Valley, Visions. Bethlehem has recently become the new social hub in the Lehigh Valley with several crowded bars like Molly's Irish Grille and Sports Pub, Tally Ho, and The Broadway Social. There are also two main hookah lounges people flock to called Essence and Sultana. With so many places to choose from it only makes sense to create a unique club environment, and Visions does just that. Contortionists dangle from the ceiling, while men on stilts roam around the dance floor, transforming the club into a showroom every Cirque Saturday.

Allentown has several fun activities and attractions for people to attend and get involved with. For a peaceful stroll through breathtaking flower arrangements, be sure to check out the Malcolm Gross Memorial Rose Garden. Not many people know the garden exists because it doesn't receive as much attention as it should. First blooms are an incredible sight to see considering the variety of roses in the garden. In the past, people have hosted wedding ceremonies here, as well as proposals. It's incredible to see such an elegant garden practically in your backyard. Since not too many people know about the garden, this helps to keep it in pristine condition.

Although summer isn't right around the corner, it's good to keep Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom in mind when talking about tourist attractions. Dorney Park has the best of both worlds as the park is split in 2: a dry park and water park. There are a variety of rides available for both younger children and older adults. Within the dry park, kids can enjoy smaller versions of the more extreme rides in Planet Snoopy, a section of the park designed for children. Aside from this area, the park comes out with new exhibits and rides every so many years. Dinosaurs Alive! is the newest attraction where customers can have a realistic and interactive experience with animatronic dinosaurs from the Mesozoic era.

Even during the cooler weather, Dorney Park hosts events like the yearly Dorney Haunt attraction. The park transforms from a happy-go-lucky amusement park, into a terrifyingly gruesome array of haunted attractions. The Halloween theme is the last chance anyone has to see the park before it closes and reopens in May.

Throughout the Lehigh Valley, there are multiple places where someone can experience a new adventure. Every area can be a mystery, until a person chooses to discover something new. Whether you live in the Lehigh Valley or just outside of it, there are a lot of attractions and hidden treasures waiting to keep anyone busy and coming back for more.