What I have learned from my Rescue Dog

What I have learned from my Rescue Dog

How an Abused Dog has taught me some serious life lessons

17
What I have learned from my Rescue Dog
Google Images

About two months ago, I rescued a labradoodle puppy from a shelter and named him Amigo. I plan to teach him to do therapy work so he can help me with my clients once I get my license to counsel. Little did I know, though, how much he has to teach me.

When we first got Amigo, he was scared of his own shadow, he jumped if you made sudden movements, and would cringe and cower if you had something in your hand and reached down to pet him. He barely wanted to play, and if you reached for a toy, he would just let you have it. It was very blatant that he was abused in his former life, and that honestly breaks my heart.

However, Amigo has taught me a lot in the last few months, and here a few of those things.

1. It's okay to lean on people.

When Amigo gets scared, he comes over to me for protection and depends on me to keep him safe. I do of course, but he has learned to depend on me for safety and comfort, and that is okay. It's okay to lean on others for support, and as much as I give him, Amigo gives me ten fold the support I want from him.

2. Never be ashamed of your fears

Amigo is very blatant in telling me when he is feeling scared about something, and I think there is a lot to say on this. There is a stigma that people who blatantly show their fear are childish and need to grow up, but that's not the case. Fear is instilled in us for a reason, and if people really care about you, they won't shame you for fearing something, but rather help you through it.

3. That some people are worth trusting

As skittish as Amigo is, he is still very warm and friendly to those he deems worthy of his friendship, and that shows little by little he's coming out of his shell and willing to trust those he doesn't even know. This has taught me not to fear those I have in months past.

4. True friends will love through everything

There have been a few times where I have been ridiculously upset, and while I have never taken it out on Amigo, loudness spooks him, and even when I am upset and am loud, he still chooses to be next to me and love me through it, and that is the sign of true friendship.

And Lastly,

5. I still don't know who rescued who

Amigo has helped me so much with learning to understand myself and giving me confidence, that I can't imagine my life without him. And I hope at some point, he feels the same exact way.