9 Things I Learned My First Year In College

My 19th birthday just passed on Sunday, and what better way to celebrate than to write up 9 things?

143

Everybody knows how challenging it is to have to change to a new environment to be able to go to college. Whether it's just a few minutes away or hours away, you'll still have to adjust! These are just 9 of the things I've learned during my freshman year, and I hope they help you out at least a little.

1. It's okay to be late.

I know, I know, everybody tells you from day one that professors will lock the doors and not let you in if you're even a second late to class. However, this isn't always the case. Most professors have about a five-minute buffering period in which you can still get into the classroom. Not every professor will do this, though, so be careful.

2. Raising your hand isn't always mandatory.

You've probably been taught that you have to raise your hand in order to ask a question, leave the room, or make a comment. Although, this isn't always the case in college. Yes, you still have to raise your hand in MOST classrooms in order to ask a question or make a comment, but the professor will generally tell you from day one if it's mandatory or not. As far as leaving the room to go use the restroom or get a drink/snack, well, that's not something that your professor needs to know about. Just get up without making a scene and leave.

3. Walking to classes can be difficult.

If you have luck like mine, you most likely got stuck in the dorm farthest away from every single class offered on campus. If this is the case, you'll probably have to walk at least a half mile in order to get to any of your classes. Be sure that you get up early enough to have time to get to your classes, or you'll end up being later than you plan!

4. Coffee is mandatory.

Okay, okay, not always coffee...but you're going to need some form of caffeine in order to be able to function most days. They're not kidding when they tell you that college is tricky, especially when it comes to the amount of homework you have and how long your essays have to be. Don't even get me started on those 16-page research articles.

5. Study. Study. STUDY!

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to study for your classes. I don't care if it's a class you know everything in or a class that you've taken three times before. You have to study in order to get the grades that you most likely want. It's possible to get away without studying, but do you really want to risk that?

6. Avoid 8:00 AM classes.

This one isn't as big of a deal if you're a morning person, but if you aren't one...don't take early classes. Here at Ball State, the earliest class begins at 8:00 AM, regardless of what day it is. Don't even consider taking these classes if you don't think you'll be able to drag yourself out of bed in the morning. Just don't do it.

7. Find somebody to hang out with.

A lot of people don't realize this, but your day will actually be better if you find somebody to spend time with throughout the time you're there. If you have a lunch break, find a friend that has the same time slot opened and meet up with them for coffee or lunch between your classes. This not only gives you a break from your college courses, but it gives your emotions a little bit of a rest, too.

8. Attend all of your classes.

This one is a little trickier than others, but you have to make sure that you're attending your classes as often as you can. Sometimes a professor will give an assignment or an announcement that you don't want to miss. Whether it's a testing day or not, make sure you check your schedules and emails multiple times so that you can make sure you're getting to class efficiently.

9. Mental health days are OK!

If you're like me, you might have a mental health issue. I personally struggle with GAD. I understand how it is sometimes. You might just not be able to physically get out of bed because you can't think straight, or maybe you can't get your emotions under control and you're just drained. It's okay, believe me. Your professors will understand. You don't have to tell them why you aren't in class, but they will help you out if you tell them why. Just remember that you don't have to shame yourself if you're considering taking a mental health day because they are okay to do.