10 Signs You're Adulting

10 Signs You're Adulting

Why wasn't I warned?

29
10 Signs You're Adulting
Facebook (SContent.CDNInstagram.com)

“It’s the oldest story in the world. One day you’re seventeen and planning for someday, and then quietly, without ever really noticing, someday is today, and that someday is yesterday and this is your life.” –Nathan Scott, One Tree Hill

It can be scary, growing up and making decisions on your own. But somehow we manage to baby step it. We may get lost, take a wrong turn, or go off the grid. Eventually we will get to where we’re going.

Let’s be honest though, “adulting” brutally sucks. I bet when you were 8, you couldn’t wait to grow up. Well that was a dirty trick! Now we wish we could go back to the carefree days with no stress, and not gain weight from eating Little Debbie cupcakes. Most of us look at a piece of cake and gain 5 pounds. Ugh, such a sad moment.

Here are 10 signs that you’re adulting:

1. You actually have more than $25 in your bank account.

When you’re first starting out this may still happen, but you start having some stability and boy does it feel good!

2. You can’t live without coffee.

Coffee is your best friend. You want it, you need it, you love it. And you need it multiple times a day.

3. You have an apartment and paying your own expenses.

Well let’s be real, you still lean on mom and dad for some help. You do get to have more freedom! How many times did you hear your parents say something about you being under their roof and they make the rules in their own house? Well you finally have your own rules!

4. You make your own appointments.

And you actually go to them alone… so scary! Then all of these thoughts will come to mind when you’re in the parking lot. (Who will be there to hold my hand when I have to get a shot? Or will I forget my insurance card? Shit, there’s copays…)

5. You care less about what others think of you.

Your patients grows thin from dealing with drama and others negativity so why bother want people think of you. We aren’t in high school anymore so there’s no more status quo to keep up with.

6. You have a routine.

Whether it’s just what you do in the morning or your whole day. You start feeling organized and like that you are slowly getting a grip on things.

7. Discussions with your friends have drastically changed.

Personally this one rings true to me. I recently got together with a group of friends and we got onto the topic of politics and the election. We were able to hear each other out and respect each other’s opinions and beliefs. Quite frankly, it scared all of us. What happened to just talking about the weather?

8. You have payments.

When this day came it was the saddest day ever and you probably curled up into footie pajamas and watched a Disney movie to avoid growing up. You hate that monthly disappearance from your bank account, but you’re thankful for the responsibility in the long run. Who knew obligations can feel good?

9. You crave sleep.

On the nights you don’t have plans you’re ready for bed at 6, but you don’t think it’s socially acceptable. You don’t get to take naps as frequent anymore, but wow are they great when you do. So great you wake up 3 hours later and don’t know where you are because you’re that groggy.

10. You enjoy talking to your parents.

You love their company now more than ever, and cherish it. You realize you’re more alike than you thought you were.

I suppose there’s no turning back from this “adulting” now. We should keep on keeping on, and face all of our struggles head on. Because there’s nothing to fear, except fear itself.