LA's Bringing Back Broadway Project In Full Gear

Councilmember Jose Huizar's 10-Year Plan Impacts Neighborhood

9
Sergio Meza

I've been living in Los Angeles my entire life and if I have permission to speak for natives growing up in the 90's, we knew there was no reason to visit downtown LA if you didn't have business there. If it wasn't to shop at the legendary Santee Alley flea market district, we knew the rest was business. Another world that we had no part of. The fowl smell of garbage, urine and who-knows-what-else used to perfume a majority of the streets. Homelessness was, and still is, an issue in downtown (that's another story) but the silver lining to this area of the city is that it's far from being a wasteland. Today downtown is warmer and inviting. People can leave their suburban nooks and find culture that is unique to the region.

In 2008, Los Angeles City Council member, Jose Huizar, brought the 10-year Bringing Back Broadway plan to the table. It began the initiative of beautifying the neighborhood by retrofitting many of the historic buildings in the area, making them able to move into, and filling up empty theaters along Broadway. A majority of the bank district was condemned due to the Northridge Earthquake of 1994, leaving many offices, apartments and companies vacated for nearly 20 years. Of course, even the most practical plans take years to come through but this one was definitely a catalyst for major change in the area. As you walk down Broadway today, you notice improvement. You can smell it. The smorgasbord of food coming out of Grand Central market on 3rd & Broadway. The same place that will be celebrating its 100th anniversary next year. The same place that sold Chinese fast food and piñatas for 30+ years is now a foodie destination that gives Napa's Oxbow Market a run for its money. The historic market has become a family friendly platform for local restaurants like Wexler's Deli, The Oyster Gourmet and La Tostaderia to name a few. Even LA natives Golden Road Brewing set up shop at Grand Central, a much needed asset during this craft beer revolution of sorts. The east entrance to the market faces Broadway, where patio seating foreshadows another major change coming from Bringing Back Broadway: the streetcar.

Los Angeles was once known for its public transportation (believe it or not) before the automotive industry skyrocketed. The Pacific Electric Red Car transportation system expanded throughout Southern California for 60 years and Huizar's plan would pay homage to its legacy with a streetcar along Broadway. This would promote walkability, allow even more patio seating and make restaurants accessible without having to worry about parking. However, the real showcase of this plan is to allow people into the 12 beautiful theaters that have been, for the most part, vacated for the last 20 years. Some have been used for fundraisers with help of the Los Angeles Conservancy and the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation but most of these stand untouched. The Million Dollar, for instance, was built by Sid Grauman (of the TCL Chinese Theater) when he first moved to LA in 1917 and the only way to see this theater is at a rare movie screening usually held by the Los Angeles Historic Theater Foundation. Point being, these spectacular palaces stand often unappreciated and Bringing Back Broadway is the ultimate awareness they need before their fate of existence is put on the line.

Each winter, the city holds Night On Broadway, an event that shuts the street down and opens the doors to a few theaters for performers to play in. This gives business to all local restaurants, food trucks, art galleries etc. all while aiding the reputation of the Broadway district of being a seedy part of town. The 9th annual Night on Broadway will be held on January 28th 2017. Our town is changing but it's our responsibility, as natives, to guide it in the right direction and nurture its self-awareness while keeping the cultural flag flying high. And when you cross the street on Broadway, you'll hear that warm neon hum.