Lady Bird: It's a Review!

Lady Bird: It's a Review!

My *hopefully* spoiler-free review of Lady Bird
48

Title: Lady Bird (2017)

Synopsis: Lady Bird is about a 17-year-old girl and her journey to adulthood in Sacramento, CA. The movie is set in 2002 and follows Christine (who chooses to go by Lady Bird) as she navigates her senior year at a Catholic high school in the Eastern part of Sacramento. She learns who she can trust, she learns how to bond and become closer to her family, and she eventually leaves home to go to college.

Rating: R

Main Actors: Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Beanie Feldstein, Timothée Chalamet, Jordan Rodrigues

Favorite Character: Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson (played by Ronan)

Least Favorite Character: Marion (played by Metcalf)

The character that I relate most to: Julie. Her rhetoric and narrative about being a bigger girl in high school just got me. I loved her.

Favorite Quote: "Just because something is ugly doesn't make it immoral." - Lady Bird

Why I chose to watch the movie: I grew up in California, and I was in high school in the early 2000s. I also live in Sacramento, CA so that probably had something to do with it.

New movie or Re-watch: New

Warnings and recommended audience: Well, it's rated R for a reason. There is a lot of language, some sexual nature, and some violence... but I don't think it's too much for anyone 17+.

The Good: I loved this movie! I loved the references to 2002, Sacramento, and northern California in general. Greta Gerwig did an amazing job at capturing her childhood growing up in East Sacramento and displaying it for the whole world to see.

The Bad: There was a lot of bad language that was used. I don't really love it when movies try too hard to be relevant by using excessive amounts of swear words. What's the point? Nobody I know uses the F word a billion times in a conversation. Okay, so I'm probably exaggerating, but I'm just over it.

Rating 1-10: 7