Why Do Girls Show Off Their Butts?
Technology

Ladies, Do You Really Need To Show Off Your Butt In Your Photos?

I'm all for body positivity, but what is the overall goal?

22061
https://unsplash.com/photos/0c_FThXR3FU

My entire feed on Twitter is full of photos posted by girls who are angled to purposefully show off their butt. Now, I am all for body positivity but why do you do it? Do you have an ulterior motive like wanting to be complimented?

Some will say "well if I have it, I'm going to flaunt it." And okay! That is great for you! But maybe you should post that picture on Snapchat instead of Twitter? At least on Snapchat, you get notified if someone screenshots your photo. I don't know, I may be considered "old-fashioned" by saying this, but pictures like that have no business being on a public social media account. However, my opinion will not stop you from posting them so at least be safe about it.

When you are applying for jobs, most businesses will look you up on social media to see what you have posted and try to get a sense of who you are as a person. Do you really want your butt to be the first thing they see? That will be their first impression of you and trust me, that is not a good impression to have.

How about a different scenario? Someone you don't know comes across your photo on Twitter because one of your friends liked/retweeted it. This "someone" ends up being a creep and saves the picture – because you can save public photos if you didn't know that. Now, some random person that you don't know has a picture of your butt and can you imagine what this person could be doing with it? Yeah, I don't want to think about it either.

Another thing, if you are under age and you're posting photos of yourself like that, it can be considered child pornography. Sure, not a lot of people in this generation think of it that way but some people could very well take it the wrong way. Your account could be reported, you could be charged with "distributing child pornography", or even the people liking/retweeting your photo could be charged. Yes, I know that the likelihood of any of these things happening is super low, but I am just trying to put this in perspective for you.

I am only trying to help you out here. It is not my goal to come across as negative or judgmental. I personally do not like seeing tons of butts from girls I don't even know on my news feed(s), but like I said earlier, I cannot stop you from doing it. I, as a woman, believe that we have the right to do what we want, but I also want women to know that there can be consequences.

This is not me sexualizing butts because believe me, there is nothing sexual about them. I can appreciate a butt, big or small, with clothes on, but without clothes, butts are just uncomfortable to look at and there is no point for anyone else to see where you poop from. This is an article where I question why anyone would put a photo like that on Twitter without thinking of what could happen.

Plus, anyone can make it look like they have a butt. It's all about camera angles. Look at the picture below, same girl, two different angles. In the first photo, it looks like she has a booty while in the second, it looks like she doesn't. Angles are key for photos.

"The art of posing"Instagram: @scarly.rae

Just to reiterate because I feel like I've triggered a few of you; I am all for being comfortable with your body. I support the body positivity movement because I feel like everyone should love how they look. I just don't get why you have to tweet the photo and put the caption "tell me something I don't know". Part of me wants to ask if you guys do this only to get attention or if you actually have a good excuse because the excuse "because I can" is just simply not good enough to me. Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. I'm only pointing that out because it's a dangerous world out there and putting your body on a public social media account can be damaging.

I am trying to be open-minded about it. I personally feel like your butts do not belong on social media and I don't want to see them. I think you should keep those photos for yourself as your own confidence booster. You don't need the opinions of thousands of random people on Twitter because the only opinion that matters is your own.