An Egg Broke Kylie Jenner's Instagram Record Because Likes Mean Nothing

An Egg Broke Kylie Jenner's Record For Most-Liked Post On Instagram, Finally Proving Likes Mean Nothing

Kylie, you've been "beat."

56

Recently, the account @world_record_egg posted a picture of a brown egg with a caption asking to set the world record for most likes on Instagram. Kylie Jenner held this record with 18 million likes on a picture of her and her daughter, Stormi.

A week after the picture of an egg was posted, the record had been broken. The picture currently has a little more than 46 million likes.

Not only was the record broken, but Instagram has now verified the account with a blue check. The person running the account has made merch including sweatshirts and t-shirts that say "Egg Gang" on them. Since the photo went viral so quickly, there have been multiple people trying to claim that they are the owner of the account.

After the record had been broken, Kylie responded on her Instagram by posting a meme of herself. In the video, she is cracking an egg on hot asphalt. She then captioned the picture "Take that little egg." While it is pretty concerning that an egg managed to almost double the number of likes she received last year, she is not taking the situation too seriously.

This whole situation just goes to show how Instagram's algorithm can spread a photo primarily based off who engages with it. It also demonstrates how unimportant likes are.

A stock image egg received this many likes, so should we really be basing our self worth on them? The answer is no, it is so easy to double-tap a picture and go on with your day and that's exactly how this photo blew up.

Finally, it represents what we can do when we come together: make an egg "break" the internet.

2019 is looking like it is going to be a year to remember.