7 Heart-Wrenching Korean Dramas That Will Make You Cry Out Of Heartache

If you're looking for a new series of shows, Korean dramas are definitely the way to go.

6157
Han Cinema

Korean dramas are one of the heart and soul of the Korean culture. Like all television shows, Korean dramas vary in a gamut of genres: romance, thriller, horror, comedy, and more. On the other hand, most episodes in a Korean drama last approximately an hour, unlike American shows which often last 30 minutes an episode. Most people tend to watch Korean dramas using Viki or Drama Fever. In fact, some Korean dramas can be found on Netflix!

As an avid fan of Korean dramas, I have watched an insurmountable amount of Korean dramas. Each time I have either shed tears, showcased anxiety or even leaped into the air out of pure joy. With Korean dramas, there are an infinite amount of emotions one can go through.

To those who have not had the thrilling experience of watching Korean dramas yet, here are seven heart-wrenching Korean dramas that will make you cry out of heartache.

1. Descendants Of The Sun

This 16-episode drama, which is found on Netflix along with English subtitles, is one to die for. "Descendants Of The Sun" stars the actors Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-Kyo, who are currently married, in this hopeless romance/action drama. This show portrays the relationship between a doctor and a captain in the special forces. Together, these two face many struggles, fighting together in a fight that manages to tie their fates together.

Not only does this drama showcase one couple's relationship, but it also shows another's push-and-pull relationship of two people who wishes to be together but are unable to.

2. God's Gift

Rather than being a romance drama, "God's Gift" tugs your heartstrings by using a mother's heartbreak. A mother, who lost her young daughter in a gruesome murder, has the capability to go back in time 14 days prior to her daughter's death. When given the chance to save her daughter's life, she joins forces with an acquaintance and together, they both fight the greater evil. The way the mother fights to save her daughter and her family truly makes you want to hug your mom every day.

3. My Love From Another Star

This romance drama truly plays with the concept of fate, as an alien who has crashed on the planet Earth meets a human girl and falls in love with each of her reincarnations. However, not every romance drama is merely romance; this one involves some action as well.

This alien, who also possesses supernatural powers such as super-hearing and teleportation, uses his powers to help protect his fated one from an evil human being. In addition to action and romance, this drama also strains your stomach by the immense amount of laughing you will do.

4. Moon Embracing The Sun

This drama set during the Joseon era. A crown prince is destined to find his princess in order to obtain his throne, thus resulting in a sort of competition among two girls to prove themselves as worthy of becoming the future princess. Yet disaster struck when one of the girls, the crown prince's current interest, is hit with a mysterious curse, separating the two lovers. Yet the girl manages to survive, and destiny begins to work its magic from there. Trust me, this is definitely not a spoiler alert, as I am currently withdrawing much more information.

5. Heartstrings

If you love musicals, this drama is the one for you. Filled with beautiful music, this Korean drama also contains several relationships. Two people from different worlds, or musical groups, unite and become closer than ever as their leaders get to know each other better. From the start, the girl leader of that traditional music group begins to have a one-sided crush on the ever-so-famous guy leader of the band. From there, these two struggle against the difficulties of starting a musical as well as battling with a girl who will not stop to get what she wants: the lead in the musical.

SEE ALSO: 6 Hilariously Dramatic Korean Shows To Binge On Netflix

6. Boys Over Flowers

This Korean drama is one of the classics. Between an impoverished girl, Geum Jan-Di, who manages to get herself into a well-known school full of socialites and the son of the man who owns that very school, Gu Jun-Pyo, these two are polar opposites, which explains why they quarrel at first.

The son, the leader of the popular group of boys called F5 at school, is often fawned over by all of the girls. The girl, on the other hand, is heavily bullied by many for being poor. Somehow, F5 and Jan-Di's fates intertwine and they become closer than ever despite their differences in class. But as always, there is always a conflict, which is a disapproving rich mother who wants her son away from a poor girl.

7. Cinderella And Four Knights

This drama is one of the cutest Korean dramas I have ever witnessed. This drama is inspired by the famous Cinderella story. A young girl, Eun Ha-Won lives her life with her crude stepmother and stepsisters, barely earning money for her college tuition. One day, fate brings her to a rich club, delivering pizza. There, a rich man, Kang Hyun-Min, hires her to play his fiancee to show his grandfather that he has a happy and bright future ahead of him.

However, turns out it was all a sham to ruin his grandfather's wedding, resulting in Ha-Won to publicly embarrass Hyun-Min to apologize in front of his grandfather. The grandfather eventually hires Ha-Won to become almost like a babysitter Hyun-Min and his two other cousins, Kang Ji-Woon and Kang Seo-Woo. From there, Ha-Won deals with many inexplicable difficulties getting these three cousins to get along. But the mystery is, who's her true prince?

Of course, there are more than seven Korean dramas that will tug your heartstrings; however, these seven are the first people should watch when starting out Korean dramas. But be careful: once you start, you will never be able to stop.