12 Things That Make Knoxville A Great Hometown

My birthplace is a true gem.

412
Maggie Kimber

Charleston is amazing; it's got great food, beautiful scenery, and it's right on the coast. Knoxville, however, will always bee my home, which is why I've compiled a list of my favorite things about the city.

1. Maybe it borders on being cliche, but...the seasons

Yeah, okay, a Charleston sunset is hard to beat, but standing outside on my mom's screened-in porch in the fall conjures up memories of bonfires, drive-in movies, and football games all experienced in a perfectly temperate climate for over 50% of the year.

2. Two Words: Honeybee Coffee

Knox has a lot of coffee shops; admittedly, I haven't had the opportunity to try all of them but, but in my blissful ignorance, I have crowned Honeybee Coffee the best of them all. Hailing from West Knoxville, it's a bit of trek to go all the way to the "Old City" for good coffee and a hip atmosphere.

Conveniently located in Farragut, Honeybee made these luxuries just a short car-ride from my house. They, as expected, also have a location in the cooler section of Knox, but the Farragut location made for a great hangout for us posers on the Westside.

3. "The Dollar Theater"

I don't know if the amenity is unique to Knoxville, but it's the only one of the treasures of which I am aware. You can see MOVIES FOR A TWO DOLLARS. Yes, I know it says "The Dollar Theater," but in my defense, these tickets, at one point in my lifetime, were a dollar.

Due to inflation (I guess?) AMC had to raise the ticket prices. STILL, it's sort of impressive, I think. The caveat is that these are (newly released) movies you are equally likely to find available through streaming platforms within the confines of your own home.

Having the option, however, of escaping the house for few hours to hang out with friends and not spend an unreasonable amount of money was pretty cool.

4. Not to be dramatic, but the thrift stores are the best. Ever

Now, having lived in a place other than Knoxville, I can extrapolate the data I need to make this claim. The thrift stores in Charleston are less than impressive, so coming home to ACTUAL JEWELS like AMVets, KARM, Goodwill, and Community Chest are a vintage-vibey (and sometimes frumpy) dream. Going thrift shopping with my friends always proved to be a fruitful adventure that resembled a try-on montage worthy of a Hillary Duff movie.

5. West Town Mall (lol, nah, I'm playin') Market Square

Market Square is what one could consider the center of downtown Knoxville.

Right outside University of Tennessee's campus, but before the bar/nightclub district of the Old City, Market Square is the magical (you guessed it!) square of boutiques, restaurants, and a little park that runs right through the middle. It's in closet proximity to the Bijou and Tennessee Theaters, so it's an awesome place to go eat before a concert, makes for a cute date night destination, and is a fun outing when your looking for a little weekend adventure.

6. UTK football fans (whether you are one, or simply revel in the hilarity and irony of 'Feels Like '98" shirts)

I feel like I don't need to expand too much on this one in order to keep any of my Knoxville readers from taking offense, but UT Football ranges from terrible to subpar every year, and every pre-season all anyone has to say is how the team is destined for greatness that particular season, but it all just ends with everyone crucifying the head coach via Twitter.

7. The Bijou

Nestled at the bottom of Gay Street, this beautiful, little, historic theater hosts everything from plays to indie concerts. Having the chance to go is super exciting and makes for a great weekend outing.

8. Close proximity to the Smokies

Just an hour (maybe a little longer) down the road is one of the most beautiful places in the nation. The Smokey Mountains are home to beautiful trails and incredible lookouts that make the area so special. Living in Knoxville was always the perfect blend of city and country when I knew that such a treasure was so nearby.

9. The Tomato Head

It's my absolute favorite restaurant in Knoxville. Whether you're going for a casual lunch or a dinner out with friends, the food is allergy-friendly, delicious, and creative. There is something to suit everyone's appetite. The vibe there is super cool and the local art on the walls make for great atmosphere.

10. The odd amount of independent donut shops

We just have a lot. I don't know what else to say about it. I think that that's the mark of a great city.

11. Festivals

Market Square and the Old City host cultural and music festivals all year. From The Biscuit Festival to Rhythm & Blooms, downtown can fulfill all of your festival dreams, food to folk music.

12. My friends & my family

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT KNOXVILLE is that it's home to so many wonderful people that I love. My family, my best friends, and people who have shaped me into who I am, today.

Honorary Mention:

Dollywood

Dolly Parton essentially has theme park about an hour from Knoxville that is basically heaven. Dolly Parton is also basically the queen of Tennessee. Everyone worships her and her fun roller coasters.