King Andrew Of New York Has Some Answering To Do

Facts are indeed stubborn things, Mr. Cuomo.

15

Andrew Cuomo has been hailed by Democrats across the country as the true leader of the COVID-19 crisis. Article after article has praised Cuomo for his heroic actions and inspiring tweets. One of those tweets recently included a quote from Founding Father John Adams. It read: "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." Another quoted Albert Einstein, saying, "I do not like to state an opinion on a matter unless I know the precise facts." And finally, the words of King Andrew himself: "I will continue to give New Yorkers the facts, whether the facts are pretty or ugly."

It's clear Cuomo is very concerned with the truth.

So let's take a look at some of those not-so-pretty facts.

First, Your Highness mandated that nursing homes accept elderly patients recovering from coronavirus. COVID-19 has been referred to as a nursing home disease. One health care worker described the mandate as "reckless and careless." As of May 3rd, the death toll from New York nursing homes stood at approximately 4800. What did King Andrew have to say about this policy? When asked about the state mandate of the state which he governs, Your Highness responded, "I don't know."

Remarkable.

King Andrew has also frequently cited the climbing deficit, a debt presumably due to his heroic mass spending in the honorable fight against coronavirus. Out-of-state healthcare workers who volunteered to fly across the country and assist New York hospitals will have to pay New York State income taxes for their noble sacrifice. With a $13.3 billion deficit, Cuomo simply cannot bear to lose any more revenue-unless, of course, the Big Bad Man in the Oval Office bails him out.

It seems King Andrew had a bit of a spending problem even before the virus, however. In December of 2019, long before the virus came to the United States, reports came out revealing Cuomo's devastating mismanagement of the state. His financial missteps clocked in at $6.1 billion dollars, nearly 50% of the current $13.3 billion deficit. Yet King Andrew cites this steep bill as if all $13.3 billion was spent in the name of fighting the good fight, and calls on the Federal government to bail him out. New York can't open until this issue is resolved. The deficit will continue to climb and New Yorkers will suffer. In sum, New York is King Cuomo's hostage.

Finally, Cuomo recently stated that this crisis will cause him to "reimagine" New York schools even after COVID-19. Many have chalked this up as well-meaning overly-cautiousness Benevolent King Andrew, sacrificing one of the core institutions needed for a civil and educated society in the name of public health. Not because he can't pay the schools due to a huge deficit of around, I don't know, $13.3 billion dollars. Not a chance. Cuomo is attempting to bargain for a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, and the futures of New Yorkers hang in the balance.

So yes, Mr. Cuomo, facts are indeed stubborn things. And it appears you have some answering to do.