Why Does “Kid Icarus Uprising” Not Have A Sequel?

It’s Been 6 Years And ‘Kid Icarus Uprising’ Somehow Still Doesn’t Have The Sequel It Deserves

Nobody really wants to wait another 19 years for the next “Kid Icarus” game.

428

If you have no idea what “Kid Icarus Uprising" is, you have been missing out on life. It is the absolute best game released for the Nintendo 3DS, and it is by far my favorite game on the system (sorry, “Super Smash Bros 3DS," “Fire Emblem Awakening" and “Fire Emblem Fates").

Six years later, and I still love it to death. No matter how many times I beat it, I just simply start a new file. Seriously, I love this game so much that I broke my circle pad from always playing it, and even that hasn't stopped me from reliving Pit's journey for the 20th time.

I mean, there are just so many reasons to love this game. The beautiful visuals, the humorous dialogue, the rich story, a cast of intriguing characters, the easy controls, and the absolute best true villain reveal in all of video game history... Actually, scratch that, the absolute best true villain reveal in any form of media, period.

Yet, somehow this amazing game — which was released in 2012 — doesn't have a sequel.

Considering there was a 25-year gap between the original “Kid Icarus" game, which was released on the NES in 1987, and “Kid Icarus Uprising," this really isn't too surprising. Heck, even at the end of “Uprising," Hades — the real villain of “Kid Icarus Uprising," spoiler alert — jokes that he'll see us in another 25 years.

I mean, if it wasn't for Pit's inclusion as a fighter in “Super Smash Bros Brawl," the series would have remained in the graveyard of video game history.

Still, Nintendo, you're seriously going to revive a 25-year-old forgotten video game series by giving us an absolutely amazing game and then let it return to collecting dust? Come on, you can do better than that.

I mean, I know you have to keep milking the pretty much dead cash cow by giving us a new “Mario Kart," “Mario Party," and “Mario Sports" game practically every single year, but come on, Nintendo. There's only so much you can do with Mario and friends. Let some of your lesser-known protagonists shine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for every single “Legend of Zelda," “Super Smash Bros," and “Fire Emblem" game that's announced, but I would be even more excited if a new “Kid Icarus" game was announced.

There's really no reason to not give “Kid Icarus Uprising" the sequel it deserves. For one, Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena have been fighters in both “Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U" and “Super Smash Bros Ultimate," so people are already familiar with the “Kid Icarus" series more than they were when “Super Smash Bros Brawl" was released.

Two, the sequel has already set itself up. Major spoiler alert for a six-year-old game, but “Kid Icarus Uprising" never really solved the whole “the goddess of nature murders humans because they're destroying the Earth" thing. That part got interrupted by the alien invasion.

And in the most recent “Super Smash Bros" games, there have been these “Palutena's Guidance" conversations, which reveal that Dark Pit is now working for the Forces of Nature.

So, that's where you can start the sequel, with tying up that whole “Nature v. Humans" storyline. And, you can further develop the characters that were introduced to us in “Kid Icarus Uprising." I mean, it's not every day when one of Nintendo's main protagonists carry on a conversation we can understand with other characters (see the notoriously silent Link and typically gibberish speaking Mario to understand what I mean).

And finally, the Nintendo Switch needs more Nintendo games. I am seriously disappointed with the lack of them. I mean, I know I don't watch TV, but the only major Switch games based off Nintendo properties I've heard about are “Super Mario Odyssey," “The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild," some “Pokémon" game, and “Super Smash Bros Ultimate."

A new “Kid Icarus" game would be perfect for the Switch. The Switch's controls are perfect for it, and it would be a nice to have a game that hasn't been done to death like Mario.

“Kid Icarus Uprising" is an amazing game that really does need a sequel, and there's really no reason for there to not be one. It's already been six years since its release.

Nobody really wants to wait another 19 years for the next installment in the “Kid Icarus" series.