Do Not Give Up

After being a little over a month since the start of the new year, you may be doubting yourself a bit on the resolution you made. Lose weight, eat healthily, be kinder to others, pass this semester, get a job, make Dean's list, get the guts to ask your crush out, focus on your mental health, or make new friends are just a small handful. Whatever it is, now is not the time to call it quits.

"Why?" you may ask. There's an explanation for that.

If you're trying to lose weight, please note and keep in mind that the results are not going to show as much as you would like them to. Losing weight is all about patience, and most importantly, it's all about time. If you give up now, you won't reach what you really want to. Somewhere in your head, you made the decision to work out and lose weight. Giving up will prevent that from ever happening. Think about what you could gain in the long run by sticking with your resolution.

Of course, the same with losing weight, staying healthy isn't always easy. There are so many factors that are at play. Your friends want to go out, or you want a pizza after going through a breakup. Often times the school dining hall doesn't supply the healthiest options besides a salad. (And eating a salad everything can be really tough). But keep in mind, that if you continue to eat healthily, or have a scheduled healthy and cheat days, you will feel a hundred times better. You gain the energy you lack when you're eating unhealthy, which cuts down your caffeine intake. (Because getting drinks at Starbucks can be packed with sugar). Your skin will show your health, and you'll ultimately feel better about yourself. That would be permanent, as long as you stick to the resolution.

Being kinder is always something to keep in mind. There are so many people that are unique, and they should not be criticized for it. There are people from all shapes, sizes, colors, ages, and backgrounds. The best thing to keep in mind is that they are people who can teach you so much about life that you had no idea about. You can gain some friends through just the simple act of being kind, and who wouldn't want that as a permanent thing?

Passing the semester or making Dean's list is just about every college student's dream. It's not always possible, and classes can be difficult, but that resolution is possible. Put in the hard work, talk to your professors about your grades, and trying not to stress are one of the biggest factors to achieve that. Being open about your concerns in a class shows a professor how much you care. Caring is achieving. Keeping a kind of resolution like that is bound to be successful, but keeping it for years to come is the even more important part.

A lot of hopeless romantics or people who are tired of being single sometimes say that this year, they will try to become available for love. It's a lot harder than one may think. A person must put themselves out there, and if they give up after a month, they may never get what they really want inside. Every person has an incredible mind worth learning about, and speaking to your crush is always the first step to really getting to know them. You may not even know about their interests until you talk to them. Who knows, you could really make a connection, but you'll never know unless you try, so don't even think about giving that resolution up.

Mental health is extremely complicated, and often times is avoided. It shouldn't be! There are thousands of people every day who could be going through the same thing you are, so focusing on that for the year is just as important as losing weight or passing a class. Focusing on it could benefit you for decades, and make you feel happy and carefree for years to come. It may not be easy the first month or two, but it's just as important as your physical health. Seeking help or going to a doctor is just as courageous as a person going to the gym for the first time to lose weight, if not more. Both parties are trying to better themselves, and that is in no way shameful. This resolution could make your future self, a happier self, and that is what's important.

Resolutions may feel short-term when you decide on them, but in reality, they should be as long-term as possible. They'll shape you into the person you want to be, and influence the way you are. Don't give up just yet. The best thing to do is wait six months, and if that doesn't work give it another two months, and another, and another. Sooner or later, a new year will come around, and you can focus on that resolution all over again. Resolutions are not sudden decisions, they are small nudges to get you on the path you know you want to go in.