It’s Fine to Leave Your Christmas Decorations Up After Christmas

There's No Need To Take Your Christmas Decorations Down Yet

Don’t let anyone pressure you into taking down your Christmas decorations; continue to enjoy them instead.

66

It's the debate that always manages to spring up around this of time of year without fail: when should Christmas decorations be taken down?

There are those who believe they should be taken down just before New Year's or right after we ring in the new year. Some of these people have even said there are laws (the law rumored to be in Maine is a myth) - or wished there were laws for the time in which Christmas decorations should be taken down. Of course, there are those who like to wait until...nearly March.

Recently, The Flash's Hartley Sawyer tweeted, "If you don't leave your Christmas tree up until Flag Day you ain't shit." I'm not saying to be the person who takes down their Christmas decorations in the summer. I do find March and Flag Day a little excessive.

We're not going to this extreme, but I will fight for February. Hartley Sawyer

I do, however, fall into the middle of the pack.

While growing up, I existed in a household in which we took down Christmas decorations roughly around New Years. If I begged, it would stay up till Jan 3rd at the most. As I grew older and began to live on my own, things began to change of course. My decorations will go up as soon as possible in November…along with the Christmas music. It would be a thing that would take a few days, but it became the best part about coming home. However, before reaching home, I would also spend time riding around neighborhoods looking at their outside Christmas decorations. This would lead to nostalgia for home (the perfect feeling for Christmas) and the dream of being able to decorate my own house one day. Once my own decorations were up, I would then enjoy my Christmas decorations until about the end of January or early February.

My Christmas tree. Picture taken November 7. Aisha Turnquist

It's because I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday and quite frankly, my favorite time of year. One of the reasons is because of those beautiful decorations that go up every year. They are so beautiful to look at that there shouldn't be any reason to take them down in a hurry.

Yes, I know that a lot of people reason that after the holiday reason is the return to work and school; so, before New Year's leaves time to take down the decorations. Although, when you think about it, returning to work and school would be better if you had your Christmas decorations to look forward to when you get home.

In addition, it's a pretty lame excuse. You spent the time around work and school putting up your Christmas decorations. It's a thing that took a long time and you worked hard on them. When you work hard on something, you should be able to enjoy for more than a month. So, go enjoy them.

They're so beautiful. Why would you want to take them down so soon?Majestic Roofing

The enjoyment of Christmas decorations is also the perfect excuse for laziness ---- and it gives you more time. We all know that it's less enjoyable to take down Christmas decorations than to put them up. Of course, for the sake of the neighborhood, maybe the outside lights can be taken down or not lit up. It's perfectly understandable. However, the inside of my place will continue to look like the winter wonderland it deserves to be until February. At the end of the day, it's my place, which means my rules and my electrical bill. Also, if you leave your Christmas lights up outside, I'll still definitely be driving around to enjoy them. Trust me, your neighbors are as well, they're just too afraid to admit to it.

For those of us out there who refuse to take down our Christmas decorations in a timely manner, I like to consider it an act of rebellion. It's the band of us gathering together to say we want to enjoy our Christmas decorations for just a little longer and that's alright. In all the things going on with the world, the argument for the length of time to keep Christmas decorations up should be the least of our worries. It should be the bright spot (excuse the pun) in our lives amongst the crazy world that we live in. It's a symbol of joy, hope, and happiness. If you don't mind, I'll be here enjoying my Christmas decorations for as long as possible. To my fellow Christmas decorations delayers, I wish you all the enjoyment in the world. I'll be there with you when we finally have to take them down. Just take solace that it will start all over in just ten months. Never mind…that's a long time.