How To Keep Your Cool During Midterms

How To Keep Your Cool During Midterms

Just breathe.

181

Midterms are coming up, and I know we are all dreading them. Well, we're not actually dreading the exam itself, we're dreading how much studying is required, how little sleep we get and trying to figure out how to stay sane.

There are a few things I like to do to stay calm when I get test anxiety. First, I like to listen to my 'Calm' app. It's an app for stress, meditation, sleep, and relaxation. It truly does calm me down after spending a little time listening to the calming noises. Take a few minutes out of your day to de-stress and focus on the noises. If you try and forget about the exams and presentations you have, those few minutes will help you accomplish all of the exams you're dreading.

Another thing I like to do before or during midterms is to sit in a sauna. Grab a couple of friends and sit in the sauna at your schools' gym and it will relax you quite a bit. Even better, enjoy the sauna after working out and you'll feel like a million bucks. Working out releases endorphins that destress you and make you happy.

Make sure you aren't skipping meals during midterms. Many of us get so caught up in stress that we sometimes forget to eat, which doesn't give us enough energy to function, and then we end up feeling like a zombie. Make sure you eat those three meals a day and even bring some snacks to the library to give you energy. Or, try eating brain foods! These are things like avocados, walnuts, blueberries, dark chocolate, eggs, spinach, and green tea! Enjoy these foods before a study session and you'll retain more information!

Don't forget to take breaks while studying! One of the worst things you can do is study for hours straight, without taking a break, eating, going to the bathroom, or even getting up and stretching. You won't retain much information this way so taking breaks is best for concentration and retaining information.