Album Review: 'Unapologetically', Kelsea Ballerini

I’m unapologetically in love with how true to yourself you are, Kelsea.

177
Parade

I know I’m not the only one who was over the moon excited when Kelsea Ballerini announced the release of her sophomore album, Unapologetically, following smashing success with her debut album, The First Time. As soon as I woke up on November 3, the album’s release date, I hit play on track one, and I fell in love instantly. Here’s a track by track breakdown of my first reactions to Kelsea’s newest release:

1. "Graveyard

"

“Now I’m just a dash between two dates.” Wow, if those aren’t some of the most hauntingly beautiful lyrics in a song you have heard, how else could you possibly describe them? In this song, Kelsea gives us a raw expression of how it feels to be used and torn down in a relationship. If you listen to the words closely, you may begin to feel like this guy has taken advantage of you too.

2. "Miss Me More

"

This is the ultimate anthem for anyone who has freed themselves from someone who has made them feel like they are unable to be themselves. No matter what kind of relationship, with other people or even yourself, this song is so relatable for so many people.

3. "Get Over Yourself

"

To the guy who can’t seem to grasp that his ex has moved on – this one’s for you! This track is surely a bop that any girl who’s over and done with someone will blast on repeat.

4. "Roses

"

The beat will grab you immediately, and the rest of the song will pull you in forever and always. Even if the love story didn’t end up lasting longer than a bouquet of roses, this jam is definitely a keeper.

5. "Machine Heart"

Kelsea, this one got me from the start. This is such a truthful, vulnerable song and I feel such a connection to it. Not only are the lyrics breathtaking, but the arrangement is brilliant.

6. "In Between"

“I’m half head up in the clouds, half feet upon the ground.” If the previous track wasn’t enough to get me, this one comes along and smacks me right across the face. Regardless of what season of life you’re in, we can all feel stuck between two extremes, and Kelsea does a beautiful job of reminding us that’s okay. Not to mention the voicemail at the end, I mean how sweet was that.

7. "High School

"

“And the world gets cruel when you’re still living in high school.” We all know somebody who’s stuck there, and odds are, they may not ever get out. They aren’t ready to be a part of the real world, and something like that will catch up eventually.

8. "End of the World"

We’ve all gone through seasons where we felt that our world was shattered into pieces whether the cause was great or small. Kelsea reminds us that when we least expect it, someone may come into your life, lead you from that darkness back to light, and restore your hope.

9. "I Hate Love Songs

"

This track is so honest in how it responds to the superficiality of a love song. Without having to spew the gushy messages of a love song, Kelsea says, the only thing that matters is that you’re truly in love.

10. "Unapologetically"

Another one of those tracks that is a true bop. If you’re in love, you shouldn’t ever apologize for how much you show it. I’m unapologetically in love with how true to yourself you are, Kelsea.

11. "Music"

I’m definitely feeling cool, sexier vibes with this one. It couldn’t have been placed in a better place on the track list either.

12. "Legends

"

“We didn’t do it for the fame or the glory, but we went down in history.” Get in your car and roll down the windows with this one blasted. After you listen, I bet you you’ll put it on repeat. Everyone can embody the lyrics of this song in their own way, and that makes it truly special.

Kelsea, you could not have put out a better sophomore album, it’s actually hard to believe it’s only your second record because of how open your words are. What you have given us is such an honest, vulnerable piece of you and I so admire that. Each track is so distinct, but as a whole, they blend wonderfully. Not to mention, the presentation of the record is stunning! Congrats, girl, you’ve definitely struck gold with this one.